No announcement yet.

A question about modes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they are chord progressions. Write out the notes of the major scale with the root is 1, octave 8.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

^ true, you could make your own.

When using the standard I ii iii IV V vi vii(o) notation for the chords in a certain key, for Dorian make a progression that resolves to ii. For Lydian make a progression that resolves to IV.
      Scott

Comment

A non-capital (don't know the actual term for that...) numeral indicates a flat note?

Comment

lower case = minor
          upper case = major
          (o) = diminished
          (+) = augmented
          Scott

Comment

So let's say in your progression above, for the key of C, the progression will be C Dm Em F G Am Bm Cdim ?

Comment

The chords in the key would be that, yes. A progression would be like C-F-G-C (I-IV-V-I) or C-Am-Dm-G-C (I-vi-ii-V-I).

So to make a 1-4-5-1 progression for Dorian, you could try ii-V-vi-ii (Dm-G-Am-Dm).

To learn more about progressions, look up chord functions (tonic, subdominant, dominant, etc.). The ii chord is technically a "supertonic" but it can function like a subdominant (as in the I-vi-ii-V-I progression above) because ii is the minor version of the dominant of V (D is the dominant of G).

If the D was played as a major chord, it would be a secondary dominant. If you look at the scores for Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, etc. these are used all over the place. They can also help you lead to a key change. If you're playing in C major, but want to move to F Major, you can add the dominant 7th to the C chord and it goes right into F. To get back, just play a G instead of a Gm and you're back in the key of C.

Honestly, if you're really interested in this stuff, you should check your local university to see if they offer a class in music theory. There's only so much that guitar websites can teach you.
              Last edited by Spivonious; 10-01-2010, 08:46 AM.
              Scott

Comment

Going to a university is a bit of a problem... I'm a serviceman in my country.
                Only get about 2 days each couple of weeks to play, so my progression and understanding doesn't advance as fast as I want it to...

Comment

Stay safe!

Perhaps a good book then...I'd look for a textbook on music theory that gets into harmonization and chords.
                  Scott

Comment

I have finally found the modes lessons by Satriani and will upload them soon and give you guys the link. they helped me a lot and hope they will help you too!
                    Ashique M. Fahim
                    Instrumental Rock Guitarist/Singer/Songwriter

www.facebook.com/iamfahim
                    www.myspace.com/amfahim
                    www.reverbnation.com/ashiquemfahim
                    www.youtube.com/kalapoka666

Comment

Originally posted by advennt View Post
                      Hey guys, lately I've started playing guitar again, only this time I'm putting more time for theory - especially scales.
                      I've been reading online this manual (link) and read through this book (link), and there's one thing I'm not quite certain about:
                      does the mode I use (i.e. Lydian or Ionian) determine the spacings between the notes?
                      If so, does this means that the normal "Pattern" (as referred to in the aforementioned link) only allows me to play one mode for each note, and if I want to play a different mode for a certain note (i.e. C Dorian instead of C Ionian) I would have to adjust the steps between the notes?

In music, you have two fundamental aspects: melody and harmony. Melody is single notes, while harmony is notes played simultaneously (chords). Music contains both of harmony and melody.

Now, with regards to modes. . .

Basically, a mode is a "shift" of the tonic from the first chord within a scale to another within that same scale. Allow me to explain what this means.

Many in the lead guitar world have a hard time grasping this simple concept. They are always thinking in terms of melody. However, modes come alive through harmony. In other words, you must focus on the chord progression.

Suppose you're in the Key of C Major. When harmonized in triads, you get the following chords:

C major, D minor, E minor,, F major, G major, A Minor, B diminished.

Now, if you play a 1-4-5 progression (C major, F major, G major), your ear expects the next chord to be the 1 chord, C Major. Play a I-IV-V-I and C Major (1) is clearly established as the tonic, or "home" chord.

Now, suppose we wish to play in the key of A Minor. A Minor is built of the sixth scale degree of the C Major scale. In other words, "rearrange" the chords so that A minor is the first chord:

A minor, B diminished, C major, D minor, E minor, F major, G major

Now, if you were to play another 1-4-5 progression, but in the key of A Minor (1= A minor, 4= D minor, 5= E minor), the ear would expect to hear the A minor chord as the tonic.

So, in other words, you sort of "shift" the tonic to another chord within the same scale.

THAT'S ALL A MODE IS.

If you build a chord progression in which the FIRST chord is tonic, you're said to be in Ionian Mode. (AKA Major Key)
                      A chord progression with the second chord acting as the tonic would be a Dorian Mode progression.
                      the third, Phrygian
                      the fourth, Lydian
                      the fifth, Mixolydian
                      the sixth Aeolian (AKA Minor Key)
                      the seventh, Locrian (Seeing as it is impossible to create a chord progression in which a diminished chord acts as the tonic, most musicologists agree that the Locrian mode does not actually exist-or if it does, the human ear is unable to hear it.)

You may be wondering why the Ionian Mode and the Aeolian Mode are also called "Major" and "Minor." This is because these two are the "strongest" sounding of the modes. Establishing a tonic with the other chords tends to sound a little less "final."
                      Last edited by kamalayka; 02-20-2011, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X