No announcement yet.

I wasn't sure where to post this but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wasn't sure where to post this but...

...let's just say I had 2 identical computer recording setups. Only difference is that one uses Pro Tools and the other uses Sony Acid.... would there be a difference in the quality of finished product between the two? I know a lot of the quality comes from preamps, interface, etc... but I honestly don't know if any comes from the actual software with which I lay down my tracks. Thanks and sorry if this has been asked before... search feature is not working for me for some reason.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

what program you use really just comes down to your personal preferance. the program itself wont affect the quality of the recording, as im not really familiar with either program you use i cant say wich i prefer, but for starting out i would fine out what one you are more comfortable using and go with that one.

Comment

One way one would have a sound advantage over the other would be if one was lacking a feature that you needed to achieve a certain sound result. Another thing that could possibly affect your recording would be if you used different encoders on those two computers. Your comfort level is really the most important thing.
      My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Output quality depends on the codec used by each for a given format. While Fraunhaufer makes a nice MP3 codec, someone else might have a better one. If one system uses a better codec, you're going to get better output.

However, the big issue with that is you'll have to run it through a spectrum analyzer to see the difference, unless one system is using such a crap codec that you can't help but notice.

Of course, you can set up a simple test to determine which one is better:

Run out of your interface (mixer, etc) into both PCs at once, and set both programs up to record in their respective software packages. See which one tracks a live input better, and then do it again in multitrack mode. Whichever one chokes during multitracking is the one you ditch.

However, disc fragmentation may also play a role, so I don't know if you could even set up 2 PCs where the only actual difference was the Audio app running.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
        X