Sound card for recording?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound card for recording?

I need a soundcard of some sort for recording as the one that is on my computer's motherboard is a POS. Using a POD XT Bean with 1/4" outs. What should I pick up? Don't need a breakout box or mic inputs.

And keeping it under $200 would be nice. Under $150 would be perfect.
    Last edited by Inearthed; 02-22-2007, 07:40 PM.

Soundblaster Audigy from WalMart. I use a SB Live 5.1, and it's perfect.

Stop by the i-pod accessories and grab one of those dual 1/8" connection cables, stick a 1/8-1/4" headphone adapter on one end into the POD and the other end into the Line In of the sound card.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

k, I'll check out the Audigy..

And this cable would work well too, right? http://www.samash.com/catalog/showit...ffiliateID=615

Comment

check out the m-audio cards as well.
        www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showit...ngleitemsearch
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            Soundblaster Audigy from WalMart. I use a SB Live 5.1, and it's perfect.

NO!!!! PLEASE DON'T BUY A SOUNDBLASTER!

Worst POS EVER for recording.

Edirol UA-25! (usb breakout but 2 decent preamps and hi-Z inputs)
            EMU - 1212m - PCI, amazing converters and comes with some good software for about 129eur
            M-Audio fast track - again USB...Also decent.. No phantom power though.

PLEASE DO NOT BUY THAT POS CREATIVE Soundblaster...
            Last edited by Child Of Norther; 02-23-2007, 07:07 AM.

Comment

m-audio 2496 card
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                m-audio 2496 card
                Heard very good things about this card (reliability, good drivers, etc), but are the unbalanced ins going to be a problem? And it appears that I'd have to run 1/4" to RCA cables too, which is no big deal, but just wondering if that would kinda crap up the sound.

Sorry to pelt with questions and all...

EMU - 1212m looks good too.
                Last edited by Inearthed; 02-23-2007, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Child Of Norther View Post
                  NO!!!! PLEASE DON'T BUY A SOUNDBLASTER!

Worst POS EVER for recording.

Edirol UA-25! (usb breakout but 2 decent preamps and hi-Z inputs)
                  EMU - 1212m - PCI, amazing converters and comes with some good software for about 129eur
                  M-Audio fast track - again USB...Also decent.. No phantom power though.

PLEASE DO NOT BUY THAT POS CREATIVE Soundblaster...
                  Well, I guess you're miking a cabinet? Dude said he was using a POD, so there's not much for the SB to screw up is there?

Comment

Well, I guess you're miking a cabinet? Dude said he was using a POD, so there's not much for the SB to screw up is there?

In my line of work, Yes, i do mic cabinets but also i work a LOT with the pod XT. Everything i post here is recorded with a pod XT, aye.

I run my pod via the stereo outs into my stereo inputs on the Edirol UA-25.

Benifits to this:

Good control of volume and GOOD (for the price) ad/da convertors and good preamps. Also have phantom power (for condensor mics) if you decide to record vocals and also has Spdif input if i n eed to whore some audio off a DVD.

Second, and most important to me.

DIRECT MONITORING

So i'm recording analogue and not via USB for the sole purpose that
                    A) it sounds better
                    B) i can listen to my playing with zero latency (a copy of the input signal is sent to the speakers before it even hits the computer) so you can record to your tracks and hear what you're playing as you play it.

See, it takes computers time to process input signal, convert it to computer format then your DAW applicaton to send it back to the speakers..

This can vary from the 2miliseconds i have on my studio comp to the 42ms of my internet laptop.

With zero latency monitoring on the edirol ua-25 and many other "designed for audio recording" cards, they make a copy and send it to the speakers so you can hear exactly what you play without having an annoying bastard latency and it doesn't matter how fast your comp is!

A soundblaster is a gamers card. Nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by Inearthed View Post
                      Heard very good things about this card (reliability, good drivers, etc), but are the unbalanced ins going to be a problem? And it appears that I'd have to run 1/4" to RCA cables too, which is no big deal, but just wondering if that would kinda crap up the sound.

Sorry to pelt with questions and all...

EMU - 1212m looks good too.

The m-audio 24-96 is meant for "computer musicians" or like electronic musiciians who mostly use the phono ins for turntables and use it mostly for it'äs midi connectivity!

one of the best cards if you wanna make music in the computer, not so great if you wanna record instruments.

Comment

And you did notice the part where he wants it under $200?

Comment

I also use the edirol-ua25 and it is a great little unit. They are more than $200, but not much more.

Comment

And you did notice the part where he wants it under $200?

I got mine for £99 which is around $175

Comment

Neat. I was under the impression those were like $500 and up?

Anyhoo, a SoundBlaster will still work fine for doing scratch demos and mp3s. He didn't say he was building a PC studio, so as long as that's the case I'd go with the SB.

Comment

Working...
                              X