50/CL live gig solo - van halen, hot for teacher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50/CL live gig solo - van halen, hot for teacher

Hot for Teacher solo, not note for note, but I kept the 'important' parts IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNH9MyXIqrE

God bless Youtube, home of free video uploads...

VHT 50/CL w/6L6s, Marshall 1960 slant cab w/75 watt celestions, SM57, Boss GT8 set up with the 'four cable' method, guitar was an ESP MII Deluxe. Recorded with a craptacular shrill camcorder mic.

Pete

sounds like VHT to me Nice job!

How do you like the 50 CL with 6L6's? Did you re-bias or just flip the EL34/6L6 switch?
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks Shawn. It came with 6L6s, I tried EL34s at the gig which I have clips from. I checked the bias, it was at 63%, should have been 65, I figured it wasn't worth dropping the chassis.

Pete

Comment

Damn you Pete. Now I have another amp on my list of must haves.
        What effect besides a flanger are you using with the CL?? Sounded like flange and delay.
        Thats VH tone all the way and great playing too!
        John G

Comment

Sorry John. Chorus and delay with the GT8. Thanks man.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
            Sorry John. Chorus and delay with the GT8. Thanks man.

Wow, I guess the flanging effect is coming from the recording and Youtube.
            Hey Pete.. does the GT-8 mess with the tone of your VHT??
            I notice with almost every tube amp I own that anything inserted into the loop changes the tone of the amp. The more pedals you insert.. the thicker the blanket gets that is covering the speakers.

Comment

It doesn't mess with it that much, but it does affect it slightly. The VHTs pretty much have state of the art fx loops - I'd put them up against anything. The JSX is real close too, but the VHT is a work of art.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                Thanks Shawn. It came with 6L6s, I tried EL34s at the gig which I have clips from. I checked the bias, it was at 63%, should have been 65, I figured it wasn't worth dropping the chassis.

Pete
                which one do you like the best? 6L6 or EL-34's?

I have yet to try mine with 6L6's as I'm happy with the tone of the amp with EL-34's
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

6L6 is tighter and dryer, 34's a little more saturated and loose. I like both, either would be very useable imho.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                  X