Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Splawn Competition Clip (click to listen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splawn Competition Clip (click to listen)

Had a blast just now playing on my Splawn Competition.
    This amp is fun as hell to play thru!

Necrophobic

Gear Used:
    Splawn Competition
    Engl Pro 4x12
    Jackson SL2H

Tried some settings that I saw posted yesterday:
    3rd gear - OD2
    presence- 4 oclock
    bass-3 oclock
    midrange- 4-5 oclock
    treble- 0/ off
    gain- 11 oclock

Cool clip, I like the tone on the slow breaks.

I would really like to get one of these amps. Splawns rock.

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Nice, chunky tone! Your palm mutes are good and tight, too.

How did you get your competition set up? I have a Pro Mod and if I made a few tweaks I think I could dial it in to a tone just like that. Right now I have mine set up a little different to sound more "marshally," but that tone is definitely in there.

Splawns kill. I've been gigging mine hard for over a year now and it's never had a problem. I tend to speak so highly of them that sometimes I think I sound like a shill.

Comment

how do sthese competitions sound at lower volumes (not that it really matters since I have a hot plate) but I'm interested anyway.
        cool tone, these have been on my "wish list" for a while now.
        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

You're talkin' my language..

cool..
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by MBreinin
            Cool clip, I like the tone on the slow breaks.

I would really like to get one of these amps. Splawns rock.

Mike
            Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam
              Nice, chunky tone! Your palm mutes are good and tight, too.

How did you get your competition set up? I have a Pro Mod and if I made a few tweaks I think I could dial it in to a tone just like that. Right now I have mine set up a little different to sound more "marshally," but that tone is definitely in there.

Splawns kill. I've been gigging mine hard for over a year now and it's never had a problem. I tend to speak so highly of them that sometimes I think I sound like a shill.
              It has JJ KT88's in the power section.
              I put a Mesa SPAX7 in V1, Sovtek LPS in V2 and a GT 12AX7-C in V3.

I'm really digging this amp. It is Marshally....like a super hot rodded type of marshall jcm 800 yet it definately has its own thing going on. It works great for me. I'm in a Slayer Tribute band and it nails Slayer tones. It also works well with the style and type of music that I like.....80's/speed/thrash/death/metal.

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick
                how do sthese competitions sound at lower volumes (not that it really matters since I have a hot plate) but I'm interested anyway.
                cool tone, these have been on my "wish list" for a while now.

They sound real good at bedroom levels. Of course they sound better at band practice or gig levels...but they also sound good at low volume levels.

Comment

That certainly sounds like a high gain Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyM
                    It has JJ KT88's in the power section.
                    I put a Mesa SPAX7 in V1, Sovtek LPS in V2 and a GT 12AX7-C in V3.

I'm really digging this amp. It is Marshally....like a super hot rodded type of marshall jcm 800 yet it definately has its own thing going on. It works great for me. I'm in a Slayer Tribute band and it nails Slayer tones. It also works well with the style and type of music that I like.....80's/speed/thrash/death/metal.
                    Ha, I thought it was running KT88s. That didn't sound like EL34 / QR tone to me.

I like KT88s a lot. I retubed my PM with the "C" labeled SED KT88s, but I've used the JJs before and will probably go back to them when I re-tube.

Comment

Who can tell with a "clip"..seriously

you can Q it to sound like just about anything..

Andy Sneap makes Kranks sound good.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                        Who can tell with a "clip"..seriously

you can Q it to sound like just about anything..

Andy Sneap makes Kranks sound good.
                        Excellent point. Sneap is a metal guitar tone master, though. I will say this - all the Splawn clips I've heard sound just like the amps do in the room. I think that's a big part of their appeal - their tone goes down to tape or disc very very well.

Comment

I heard nothing but awesomeness about Splawns..

I wished I seen one around here I could get my hands and ears on..

Comment

Working...
                          X