Yellowjackets vs 6L6 in Soldano clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellowjackets vs 6L6 in Soldano clone

I'm crossposting this to the mp3 folder too, but thought some of you guys (especially Chris) might want to hear this.

http://members.cox.net/vhpete/inmydreamssoldanoyj.mp3

http://members.cox.net/vhpete/Inmydreamssoldano.mp3

First clip is with YellowJackets, second was with Ruby 6L6s. I left EVERYTHING the same - same amp settings, guitar, mic position, etc. Well, that's not entirely correct - I did boost the gain a little on my mics so I had a good level into my PC crapass soundcard, and I also may have used a different waves reverb. But the basics were the same.

I can dial in more treble like the YJ clip with the 6L6s, but one thing I like about the YJs is that they compress a little more. Listen to the picked descending riff after the tapped part - it splatters all over the place on the 6L6 clip, but sounds a lot better on the YJ.

One thing that sucks though - the damned YJs do NOT fit in the headshell, I had to pull it out part way. I'm hoping they make a lower profile YJ, or I may have to look at the GT offerings depending on how tall they are.

Forgot to mention - since my amp is a clone, the 'real soldano' may have enough room. Be sure and measure your amp before you buy a pair, it would make for a sucky surprise if they didn't fit!

Pete

To my ears, the YJ has more clarity compared to the Ruby. And as usual, great playing.

Btw, i remember you were making a 5-10 watt tube amp a while back, how's that going?

Comment

I like the YJ clip better. Clearer and the compression is perfect. That amp sounds really good Pete.

Comment

I guess I am different...I like the second better. It is fatter and warmer to my ears.

Oh, Pete..CLEAR YOUR PMs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Working...
        X