No announcement yet.

So I tackled This Godless Endeavor....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I tackled This Godless Endeavor....

and it tackled me back!

I got into nevermore with the enemies rerelease, and tge made me realise I needed to try a 7. I picked up a Schecter Hellraiser C7 in black cherry right here in our classifieds (bigup scottd23) and loved the massive sound and shredworthy tone. After learning heaps of Nevermore stuff it was time to tackle the biggest and baddest! I had a guitar pro tab of the title track, but the diminished run was poorly done. I had already attempted to work it out, but couldnt find a fingering that would be plausible to play at speed. So I continued on the chordal sweeping patterns and guitar world hands me the greatest lesson ever! Loomis showing you how to play the diminished run.

Soon after I recorded a backing track to practice with at speed, and not long after I conquered my goal (I believe I did, anyway), much earlier then anticipated!!!

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bibz/shred2.avi

backing track is here:
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~bibz/tgeback.mp3

and the psalm of lydia intro backing:
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~bibz/polback.mp3

The drums kinda suck balls and makes the timing at the start very vague. The video and audio both suck, but obviously this wasnt the main consideration!
    I'm stoked at reaching my goal and I'm very happy with it all, check it out!

gear stats; hellraiser c7, bone stock. 9-70 stringset (you can really tell the 70 when you hear it acoustically at the end, beefy!) v-amp pro rectifier ampsim, bit of delay/reverb, into pc out to logitech 5.1 system.

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm in the midst of learning all this nevermore stuff right now myself.
    sounds great.
    How is the Hellraiser to play lead on?
    I just picked up an ESP m-207 (for dirt cheap) and it's not the easiest to play lead on (from the 12th fret up, below the 12th fret it's not bad) but it sounds killer playing rhythm on it thru my 5150.
    I may just have to get used to it a little more. (my first exploration into 7 strings)
    I've been thinking about the Hellraiser 7
    cool, Nice job on those arps
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I really couldn't hear it very well...but it sounds like you nailed it! Wow, your hand must hurt after that arpeggio-fest!!!

Good job!

Mike
      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

thanks guys!

The hellraiser is a korean guitar, but damn high quality for korea. The cort factory can produce some stellar gear, but it still cant compare to high end jap stuff from jackson/ibanez/esp. Its pretty good to lead with although I've found you need a higher action then on my jacksons, not only for setup but tone aswell. Really makes the emgs work, and makes my playing a little more articulate aswell. The frets are pretty good although I could use a little more meat in them and a nicer crown, but this is just nitpicking. For the money its appointed really well, def a sweet guitar!

As for the sore hand, nothing I've ever played is this hard! I can play for 90 minutes, even other nevermore stuff in the mix, tomorrow turns lead, river dragon lead, and none of it prepares me enough for tge. And the speed its at takes some getting used to, it took a couple of weeks before I could play it enough times in a row at speed to practice it properly without my hand suffering fatigue. Its still bloody hard to play that arp section after all that speedy sweep/pick diminished running around. Its totally sport guitar! A hawaiin triathlon of shred

you gotta respect 'the man' loomis for playing this live every night!

Comment

Yeah, it was hard to hear, but it sounds like you nailed it! Nice job!

My hands are tired just from watching it That stretch between the 7th and 12th fret is a monster!

Comment

That's some sweet playing...his and yours. It's funny though, I never listened that far into the song before. Always got bored shortly after the three minute mark.
            This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Nice..good job man..

keep hammering that anvil man!!
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
              X