Live video - YYZ solo from Rush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the tip, vid working now

Good playing, haven't heard YYZ for a while, but I have a feeling that the solo wasn't exactly like that. Cool clip tho, good playing and I liked your tone!

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm
      DragonKnight, update your flashplayer.

Great playing Pete, I liked it a lot. All I could hear was one off-bend, which is so minimal that I should be shot for even mentioning it!
      You do know that its YYZ from Rush... right? :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
        You do know that its YYZ from Rush... right? :ROTF:
        Ouch, think you might be piling it a little high on me, John?

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps
          Ouch, think you might be piling it a little high on me, John?

Pete
          C'mon Pete. I was just responding to that thread. You know the deal. I think your great. Personally.. I think you are one of the best players on the JCF. Well rounded and technical and you play with alot of feel. On top of that.. you know your shit about amps and guitars and tone.
          You have nothing but my respect as a player and a person.
          I just can't believe how many JCF'rs don't know that solo to YYZ. I know it note for note. Most Rush fans who are guitar players do. I have since it first came out. I haven't played it in many years but I have heard it 4 million times and I know every note and we used to do it live back around 1994 2 times a week. We did several Rush songs from Moving Pictures back then.
          If you recall.. I have referred myself to be like the Mark Wahlburg from the movie Rockstar. It has caused many issues in bands I have been in. When I do a cover solo... its exact, note for note. If I can't play it note for note.. I don't play it. This "trait" of mine has really tuned me in to the "exactness" of covering a guitar solo. I thought your version of the YYZ solo was actually more technical than Alex's. It just wasn't a faithful representation of the solo. You got some of the key notes and the basic styles involved in that solo but it was in no way near exact.
          Knowing how well you play I am sure you could nail that solo easily with minimal practice. Most accomplished soloists can. You just chose to do your own thing on that one. I was just busting on the fact that some JCF'rs thought it was just like the original recorded version.
          And for the record... I will always believe that a cover band should nail every note of a song they are covering. Especially the soloist.
          Embellishing or "doing your own thing" is usually done because of several factors:
          Lazyness "which you aren't"
          Lack of chops "which ABSOLUTELY doesn't apply to you in any way shape or form!!"
          Drunkenness "you admitted it" I don't drink when I play but I know what it sounds like when somebody does.
          A little story..
          I was just at a local bar and there was this band consisting of a guitarist and a drummer only. They were doing old ZZ Top, SRV, Hendrix type blues stuff. The guitarist was HAMMERED. Everybody at the bar was hammered.
          He was possibly the worst sounding and playing guitar player I have ever heard playing in public. It was amazing how aweful he was. He was wireless and walking around the bar playing slide with peoples drinks. The small crowd that was there was loving it. My wife told me he should bring the guitar and amp back to GC and try some other instrument because guitar isn't working out. Drinking and playing just is a bad combination.
          Of course these are just my opinions and you know that I am a fairly wacky guy.
          Anyway, I apologize if I got a little too deep on this one. You have my total respect as a player.

Comment

Nice clip... personally I find note-for-note cover bands rather boring.. why not just play the cd? I like to see the musicians' personalities come through, even if it's a cover song. I agree a lot of times laziness is a factor (it definitely is for me personally!) but I still find listening to it more enjoyable (assuming the guitarist is good.)

Comment

you know what mate most people who hear us realy couldnt give a flying toss if we dont play it note for noteUs the guitarists are small in numbers and are vastly outnumbered by the public who dont listen to the solos but sing all the words!lol
              I can see you point in doing it note for note-i do that when the band covers some tunes but on others i keep the guidelines there and the framework to the solos similar but i play what i want to play that night-its a feeling thing,and i have noticed lot of other guitarists do the same.Its close but not in the same ball park,and i like that as a guitarist to hear someone make a track there own track.as long as its not a million miles off target and it harmoicly and timing wise fits then its fair tradeNow i saw Pete play this and i dont know the rush track in the slightest,i never got into rush so i cant tell you if it was close enough,but i can tell you it sounded fine.So if i use my lack of Rush knowing as a reflection of the general publics lack of caring for solos note for note then Pete did well..lol.
              I dont drink and play or do drugs and play,i am with your there.afterwards its a diferent matter..lol.
              but yeahh you can do it note for note or you can keep it close and add your own colour-i have had the drummer tell me about changing my tones for some tunes we do(Evenesence)and i tell him NO!lol-i am not in that band and my tone is my tone-i think you have to draw a line sometimes and just have fun playing rather than being analy retentive on tones and notes
              BTW like your band Aftermath,great playing there(and tone)well done

Comment

It's cool John, just seemed like you were really hitting it hard. Ozzy I stay pretty true to (we do bark, I don't know, crazy train, goodbye to romance, Crowley) the Satriani stuff I stay pretty close to (Cryin, satch boogie, Ice 9, surfin, flyin in a blue dream) etc.

If it's not a band that is 'guitar focused' IMHO though - I go ahead and dick around with it. Sometimes it works out great, sometimes not - but it really adds (imho) to the liveness of the gig. Plus since we don't do any originals, it's the only way I can really put my stamp on the songs. If I had to do every song just like the original I'd feel like I was in vegas backing neil diamond or something. If it makes you feel better, I play spirit of the radio and freewill a LOT closer to the albums because I also like those solos better. Alex's YYZ solo never really was a favorite of mine.

Regarding drinking - sometimes I play stuff *more* like the album if I'd had a few, since I don't feel like taking as many chances. I did have a few drinks, but I mentioned the 'drunken' part tongue in cheek - might have had 4 shots at that time, and been there a few hours. I didn't pass out, throw up or fall off the stage a few minutes later.

It's all good! If you get a chance, put a clip of YYZ done right up here, I'd like to hear your take. I do have a backing if you need it.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps
                  It's cool John, just seemed like you were really hitting it hard. Ozzy I stay pretty true to (we do bark, I don't know, crazy train, goodbye to romance, Crowley) the Satriani stuff I stay pretty close to (Cryin, satch boogie, Ice 9, surfin, flyin in a blue dream) etc.

If it's not a band that is 'guitar focused' IMHO though - I go ahead and dick around with it. Sometimes it works out great, sometimes not - but it really adds (imho) to the liveness of the gig. Plus since we don't do any originals, it's the only way I can really put my stamp on the songs. If I had to do every song just like the original I'd feel like I was in vegas backing neil diamond or something. If it makes you feel better, I play spirit of the radio and freewill a LOT closer to the albums because I also like those solos better. Alex's YYZ solo never really was a favorite of mine.

Regarding drinking - sometimes I play stuff *more* like the album if I'd had a few, since I don't feel like taking as many chances. I did have a few drinks, but I mentioned the 'drunken' part tongue in cheek - might have had 4 shots at that time, and been there a few hours. I didn't pass out, throw up or fall off the stage a few minutes later.

It's all good! If you get a chance, put a clip of YYZ done right up here, I'd like to hear your take. I do have a backing if you need it.

Pete
                  hey Pete. Its all good. Send me the backing clip to YYZ and I'll relearn the solo and post it up this week. It shouldn't take too long.
                  I am going to start a new thread under the topic "note for note" OR NOT! so I can lay off you and this tangent thread I find myself on!
                  John G

Comment

Working...
                  X