going for that "Brown sound"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going for that "Brown sound"

that medley I put up got me all nstalgic to play some VH so I just threw this together
    Marshall 1960Ax
    GMW strat
    sm57
    dry one take right into cool edit pro 2000
    let me know what I need to adjust to nail that VHII sound

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=21126

thanks
    I haven't played this one in a long time :ROTF:
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

I don't know about "nailing the VHII tone", but I really like what you have there!

Comment

Originally posted by HeWhoIs
      I don't know about "nailing the VHII tone", but I really like what you have there!
      +1
      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

One take?Man I cherish the times when it just flows out.You sound fantastic.
        What is your signal chain & effects?

Comment

Originally posted by azspaceace
          One take?Man I cherish the times when it just flows out.You sound fantastic.
          What is your signal chain & effects?
          geez thanks, I thought it was an "OK" take, but then again I always think
          I suck anyway

This take is just my 5150 combo,
          Marshal 1960AX cab (greenbacks rule!) no effects at all
          My blue GMW strat one sm57 (that I need to re position so the sound is
          brighter and more "in your face" )
          I recorded straight into cool edit 2000, added a touch of reverb into the
          track in the software and that was it.
          A guy over on Guitars101.c0m has a 5150 with a mrshall with different
          speakers and he wanted to hear the difference , so I literally whipped this
          together in about 20 minutes. I should be able to get a much, much better
          sound than this when I'm not rushed and can play with the mic postioning
          some more.
          thanks for taking time to comment!
          If you want my 5150 settings PM me and I'll give them to you (if you have a 5150 that is )

Nick

Comment

Nick,
            I'am running a Marshall 900 4100 through either a 1960Lead or a 800A.What mic are you using and what position?Do you ever just record direct and if so any luck grabbing the Brown?

U's got the talents

Ron.

Comment

It really sounds like EVH.Good job.
              I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys
                Ron I used an SM57 straight in front of the bottom lower right speaker about 2 inches back from the grill. I still need to experiment with mic positioning.
                someone on another board recommended (with greenbacks) to go 6 inches back and about 3-4 inched off center but point the mic at the cone and crank it.
                I've only got the post gain on this take at about 1 1/2 it's not vey loud.
                I'll try it ithis weekend.
                I have an Avatar Cab with hellatone V30's in it and with V30's it seems like you can just stick the mic right in front of it and it sounds good.
                The greenbacks seem to have more of elusive "Sweet spot"
                here's the rig

Comment

Incredible sound! What kind of pickups are you using? Are they Duncan Customs etc..? Thanks

Comment

thanks!
                    Duncan custom in the bridge and a duncan 59 at the neck(which I didn't use here)

Comment

Sounds cool...
                      I just reported you to the logo cops...expect a knock on your door any minute
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

First off. yoU NEED to sell me that guitar ! \m/
                        Actually - the tone is good, but not VH.. to my ears, you may need more mids, and more separation of the 'verb and the dry signal.. I think on the 1st 2 CD's he was mixed pretty hard right/left
                        Check these guys out :
                        http://www.theatomicpunks.com/
                        In an email , he said that the gain was at 6, resonance at 4.... and if you read the rider,
                        http://www.theatomicpunks.com/sect/equipment.html
                        it is a 300 watt (so 4x 75 watt equipped) marshall cab with a 5150 head...
                        Good stuff though !
                        Last edited by Wayniac; 06-28-2006, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks Wayne
                          I actually had 2 tracks here one panned each way one dry and one with the reverb but for some reason Cool edit didn't mix it down that way. I must've messed something up.

Comment

heard it with different speakers - need more high end. Funny how different set-ups will do that to ya !
                            And I think Eddie used to mix separate tracks.. the effect was panned almost hard to the "other" side in the mix.... listen to the old tapes in mono (or mess with the stereo balance)
                            Now... let's talk about that guitar getting a new home...

Comment

I've had that guitar for a about a year and a 1/2 now and the more I play it the better it feels. These raw oiled necks definitely get better feeling with some miles on them. The "mojo" is starting to really emerge on this one. I find myself playing my soloist less and less these days .......and I freaking love my soloist.
                              Plus my daughter thinks it's "pretty" so it may end up being hers down the road.
                              I can't see myself ever selling this GMW barring a financial disaster.
                              but go ahead and make me a ridiculously, outrageously high offer, I'll listen

Comment

Working...
                              X