Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drumming Software question.

Hey guys,

I need to record a decent drum track. Drum machines have failed me and we can't hold a real drummer long enough to ever record them. So I need software. I need a program that is user friendly and I'll be able to figure out on my own. I just need a program that sounds decent and is fairly easy to use.

Considering Drumkit from Hell. bad idea? or what.

Re: Drumming Software question.

Drumkit From Hell Superior is the best, but you really have to go along with their mapping and interface to reap the benifits, and they aren't really worth it, IMHO. I'd rather take the samples from it and peace it into Battery.

Battery kicks ass! Best program to trigger samples with.

What DAW/Sequencer are you using? Nuendo and Cubase have a great drum mapping feature, as does Digital Performer.

I'd suggest getting DFH1 and the 30 dollar expansion pack (about 120 together), and then get a copy of Battery 2 or Battery, and go to town!

I personally use Battery 2 with sample's I've scored off friends/producer buddies, and a couple that Andy Sneap used. Also, sampling your own from CD's you like saves a lot of work when you go to EQ things.

You can hear my stuff at http://www.audiostreet.net/jeffdunne

Comment

Fruity Loops is easy as cake.

you can hear a drum track we did for our band.

www.myspace.com/haceldama

Comment

Drums on Demand are pretty good too.

Comment

I was in the same situation you are. I asked a musician buddy of mine if I could borrow his DR-5 drum machine cause he is selling it. Took me 2 hours just to learn how to program the stupid thing and even after that, All i had was a simple bass drum, snare, and hi hat drum pattern, quite boring and dull. After that 2 hours, I said screw that, Im wanting to get into sampling and sequencing the drums on my pc (less shit on top of my pc desk, the better). So I did a google search. I came across a website called Acoustica. They have a few programs for pc music making. One that caught my eye is Acoustica's Beatcraft and they offered a free demo for download and so I tried it out. I swear, after 20 mins of messing with it, I had one killer drum track that had a bit of double peddle, some killer tom riffs, accents on the snare and hi hat and some crashes (basically, the works). Ill say that Im quite pleased with it. The user interface is by far the easiest Ive ever used. The drums kits that come with beatcraft could be better cause it has a few hip hop style drums but the rock/metal drum kit sounds awesome. You can also import any sound file, i.e .wav/.mp3 into the program and use those sounds as well. So far I have a nice collection of drum kit sounds that I use and couldnt be happier. Im thinking about grabbing Drums on demand or Drum kit from hell and using the drum sounds inside of beatcraft. And the best thing, Beatcraft is only 40 bucks (14 bucks more for the expansion pack). Give the program a shot and see how you like it, I think its worth to have in any music collection

http://www.acoustica.com/beatcraft

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I"m looking into everything mentioned above.

I know jack shit about sequencers and other such nonsense...so I have some learning to do.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I was in the same situation you are. I asked a musician buddy of mine if I could borrow his DR-5 drum machine cause he is selling it. Took me 2 hours just to learn how to program the stupid thing and even after that, All i had was a simple bass drum, snare, and hi hat drum pattern, quite boring and dull. After that 2 hours, I said screw that, Im wanting to get into sampling and sequencing the drums on my pc (less shit on top of my pc desk, the better). So I did a google search. I came across a website called Acoustica. They have a few programs for pc music making. One that caught my eye is Acoustica's Beatcraft and they offered a free demo for download and so I tried it out. I swear, after 20 mins of messing with it, I had one killer drum track that had a bit of double peddle, some killer tom riffs, accents on the snare and hi hat and some crashes (basically, the works). Ill say that Im quite pleased with it. The user interface is by far the easiest Ive ever used. The drums kits that come with beatcraft could be better cause it has a few hip hop style drums but the rock/metal drum kit sounds awesome. You can also import any sound file, i.e .wav/.mp3 into the program and use those sounds as well. So far I have a nice collection of drum kit sounds that I use and couldnt be happier. Im thinking about grabbing Drums on demand or Drum kit from hell and using the drum sounds inside of beatcraft. And the best thing, Beatcraft is only 40 bucks (14 bucks more for the expansion pack). Give the program a shot and see how you like it, I think its worth to have in any music collection

http://www.acoustica.com/beatcraft

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been looking for a good pc drum machine for EVER, something simple to use and put together with good sound... I took your advise, and Im DAMN glad I did! This program ROCKS!!! Thanks!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

your very welcome my friend. Once you get some stuff recorded, post it. Id love to hear it. Here's to playing [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Cuthroat, Beatcraft does indeed rock. Downloaded the demo and have been playing around with it since yesterday. I'm going to buy it tonight.

BTW, I have an Alesis drum machine for sale in the classifieds [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I should become a Acoustica representive and get me some commission [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Glad you like it txcharvel [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Drip - You need something that will automate the groove building process without you having to spend all your time dicking with it. Is that right?

Go to my site ( http://www.roncoulter.cc ) and check out the songs 'MiDeLei' and 'Groove Chewy'. I did those with my Boss Dr-880 within hours of plugging it in. Even has a half-decent COSM modeler built right in.

Pretty cool tool.
                      [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                      750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                      Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] holy hell, the dr 880 is over 500 bucks [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Comment

500+ smackers well spent, too!

Whenever I use a MIDI/looping/beat prog (like Acoustia), it always ends up sounding like a guitarist trying to be a drummer. I am not a drummer, nor can I code drums to sound realistic - at least not without spending hours and hours dicking with it. By the time I get a decent groove going, I've lost the creative incentive that made me fire the freaking program up in the first place!
                          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

well the other members of the band are also praising the beatcraft. I'll noodle with it tonight. My cubase is screwed up right now so I have to re-install it.

Comment

You can always use drum loop audio samples-Check out the file sharing apps,you never know some one might have a few Pro drum CD's up there.Then all you have to do is type the tempo into the grid-and arrange in sections(copy and paste)
                              Thats the cheapest way-and sonicly the best if you use the best samples

Comment

Working...
                              X