This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newc\'s Home Recording Handbook - Lvl 1- Beginn

Not familiar with the Nano, only the 3630.

Settins are pretty much to taste, but start with the Threshold at about -10 to -15 for guitar.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

so the first thing i need to do is set the levels on my mixer so there is no clipping then adjust the processor after?Im taking baby steps on this process.Thanks for your reply.I am running a acoustic straight thru the board and hope to add effects later.I noticed tho when i strum a chord or play double stop type stuff on the e and b string around the 12/14 fret,i see clipping more than when i play single note lines.I have no idea if i need to compress my pod going into the board clean or with gain.Ive always wanted to learn to use a compressor.I know it can be a awesome tool.
      "The cup floats pretty good till you get 2 or 3 people on it"~Vinnie Paul

Comment

I'd either back the gain off or set the Nano for Peak Limiting (if it has that feature) rather than actual Compression. Compression will give you the same volume, but it'll swell up to that level. Peak Limiting will stop those notes from peaking/clipping entirely, though if your input gain or POD output is too high, Peak Limiting can sound just like Compression.

Since you're recording into the PC through the mixer, you can run your signal into the mixer and PC a little lower to control clipping, then boost the track in the software editor once you get it recorded.
        I find it's easier to do it that way than trying to watch what you're playing AND watch the clip indicators on the mixer.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Since you're recording into the PC through the mixer...

[/ QUOTE ]Im actually recording to a ADAT but i still understand.Thanks for the help!!!

Comment

Hmmm. No experience with an ADAT either, so I don't know if you have to have your levels set before you run into it or if you can adjust all that later.

Comment

Will using a Long cab cord affect tone?I was wanting to put my cab in another room for recording but use a small instrument chord from my gtr to amp head...

Comment

Some say yes, some say no. For home recording it should be fine. For a Pro Session, the shorter the better since the higher-end gear is more picky about things like that.

There used to be these isolation boxes you could buy/build that were about 1.5 times the size of the cabinet and had small holes in them for mic cables. Put the cab in the box, close the lid, crank the head, and roll tape [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

What if we cant get near our PCs? Anyone recommend a good beginner level portable studio jobby?

I can mic my amp, i didnt buy it to end up buying a POD aswell so i can sit in front of my pc plucking away :P

After something simple, basicaly:

amp > mic > limiter?\preamp? > portable (digital?) studio... ready to be transferred onto a PC later for arranging etc

Comment

Both Zoom & Korg makes portable handheld 4 trackers (Zoom also makes a 2 track) with smart media storage that is USB transferable to other media or your hardrive. Just look at Musicians Friend online, or eBay. The Digitech GNX4 and like models aren't as portable, but they also store your jam ideas and you can transfer to media or harddrive later. I'm sure there are a few others as well.

If you want cheap, look into a used cassette 4 tracker..I've bought one for like 30.00 that functions.

Comment

Though I haven't tried the SmartMedia recorders, I'd definitely like to hear from someone who has compared those to PC-Direct and HD-based recorders. Speed, tonal quality, etc etc.
                      They seem like a far better idea than a hard drive or CD-RW, but I know there's a catch [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

if I'm using a M-Audio FireWire Solo, do I need the Alesis 3630 infront of it?

Comment

It would help to control input spikes, especially if you're miking a cab, a singer, or a drumkit.

Comment

I have a question.i am using a studio 24 alesis adat studio. i am trying to run out of any output of the mixer into the mic input of my computer. i get this tremendous hum.ive turned of the monitor still noise,turned off the adat,same thing. so i tried running out of my speakers headphone jack (from the computer)into my mixer and get major hum.it all seems to be the mixing board.i can run my ipod into the mixer with no prob and mixer into the pa with no prob but when it comes to the computer in or out,i get major humming problems. do i need certain type of chords?

Comment

You should be going into the Line In of your computer, not the Mic In.

You will also have to set the Input volume in the Windows Mixer and/or soundcard's Properties pages to make sure you're not pumping in too much signal from the mixer or too little gain on the soundcard's Input.

I keep mine set so it's about 50/50 - Line Input volume set to about 50% and the mixer Output set to about 50%. It will vary according to individual equipment, of course, and you may end up with a 70/30 split (Soundcard Input volume set to 30% and mixer Output set to 70%, or vice-versa).

Alternatively, there are a few USB audio interface devices you can get to do the same thing.

What soundcard are you using on the computer? I might be able to get a bit more specific with the details on how to set it right so you get the best out of it.

Comment

actually i dont have a soundcard specifically for this.im just running through the motherboard mic.i used to use a m audio soundcard.i may need to get another for this...?

Comment

Working...
                                X