Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What else is in your computer? It sounds like electronic interference. TV card maybe?
    Scott

Comment

i dont have anyother cards in it.im thinking i need a sound card. this computer does not like the mixer at all haha thanks for the replies
      "The cup floats pretty good till you get 2 or 3 people on it"~Vinnie Paul

Comment

Laptop or Desktop?

Most Desktop motherboards have both Line and Mic input, but Laptops generally don't.

If it doesn't, then you'll either need a Firewire or USB-based Line Level unit (M-Audio has them) or you can play around with the Mic Input Gain settings. I use an ADS Tech Pyro A/V Link for video capture on my laptop, and have to run the audio into the Mic input separately, but I also have to turn the Mic Gain Boost off and work the Recording Volume of the host application. Still comes out slightly distorted, but since it's not music, it's not an issue for me.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Just my 2 cents: I wouldn't recommend anyone using a Soundblaster these days, beginner or not. We have so many better options available, at great prices, that it would be foolish to start with a Soundblaster. I ran one for years, merely because that's what I had, starting in 1999, but now, you can get something like the Presonus Inspire, for cheap, if you have firewire like me, AND it comes with recording software (most do, these days), so you are killing two birds with one stone, or, I should say, one price. No firewire? Try the M-Audio 2496 PCI card. Still a stable, handy card in a home studio.
          And plug-ins are your friends.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Can't say I've had any trouble with any Soundblaster cards. I'm using an Audigy2 Platinum, and aside from Audition 3 not letting me record through it (Audition 1.5 works fine - Aud3 is having internal issues), it's done well so far.

I get nice clean noiseless recordings.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

I know what you mean about the newer soundblaster cards. I purchased a new X-fi for the ASIO ability and using their drivers it's just awful. When I use ASIO4ALL it sounds way better without too many pops, but it's still not the way it should be. Today, just for the hell of it, I installed Cubase and Amplitube on an older system with an 8 year old Soundblaster Live 5.1 card, using the ASIO4ALL drivers, and I get a much nicer result. No pops, crackles, or skips. Not to mention the X-fi card only has a stupid combo SPDIF/LINE/MIC input unless you purchase their addon drive bay unit.

BTW, if I remember correctly Creative now owns M-Audio. So if your having problems with soundblaster cards, I'd stay away from M-Audio too.

I suggest purchasing an external sound device. At least that way you can use it with any computer instead being stuck to only one.

Just 2 cents.

-Wade
              Checkout My New Song Here

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6572063

Heres another one for ya's
              http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6643459

Comment

im still trying to figure out why i still get the hum when i run out of my speakers from my computer to the mixer.could it be a grounding problem?
                "The cup floats pretty good till you get 2 or 3 people on it"~Vinnie Paul

Comment

Originally posted by crowley_67 View Post
                  im still trying to figure out why i still get the hum when i run out of my speakers from my computer to the mixer.could it be a grounding problem?
                  I depends on the hum you are getting. You could be getting noise from your power supply, fans, hard drive, etc. However, most of the time it's a bad cable.

That's where I would start.

-Wade
                  Checkout My New Song Here

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6572063

Heres another one for ya's
                  http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6643459

Comment

Thanks for this post, Newc. I found a 3630 on Craigslist for $50, and along with your suggested settings, was able to put it to good use. The compression is nice for getting a somewhat Satch-like tone on my lead playing, and the noise gate comes in handy for recording with high-gain amps.

Comment

Great, long-lived post...hopefully I can get a couple questions answered:

Last winter I used Kristal via Digitech RP150's through the USB inputs on my PC. Recordings sounded pretty good, but with only on-board sound (got rid of a SB awhile ago), the monitoring latency was horrid. So, this winter, me and a buddy are going to expand our recording horizons by playing both of our guitars (RP150 and RP250 modelers, but both also have Randall amps we could mic) and I want to play my acoustic drums through miking and some sort of interface between the drums and the computer. So here are my questions -

1) Can I still use Kristal for doing what I want to do?
                      2) What soundcard should I look into getting?
                      3) What "interface" do I need between my drums and the comp?
                      4) Should we record the guitars directly form the RP's into the comp (via USB or line-in?) or should we mike the amps?

I am so new to this, but am excited to be able to record some decent stuff in my basement.

Thanks!

Comment

Bump

Anyone help me out?

Comment

Get a Rolls RM203x Stereo Line mixer for the drum mics, then to the computer.

For acoustic drums you might want to look into getting at least 3 Alesis 3630s. Since each one has 2 channels, that will give you all the Compression or Peak Limiting you need - Kick(s), Snare, Toms, & Cymbals. Since each kit piece has different native volume properties, you'd want as much separation as possible. One 3630 will do it, but one for each piece-type will do it better.

However, neither of those have USB/Firewire outputs, so you'll need something that can get it into your PC.
                          There are tons of options for that, and I have not tried any of them, since the SB works fine for me.

Comment

I have a question.i am using a studio 24 alesis adat studio. i am trying to run out of any output of the mixer into the mic input of my computer. i get this tremendous hum.ive turned of the monitor still noise,turned off the adat,same thing. so i tried running out of my speakers headphone jack (from the computer)into my mixer and get major hum.it all seems to be the mixing board.i can run my ipod into the mixer with no prob and mixer into the pa with no prob but when it comes to the computer in or out,i get major humming problems. do i need certain type of chords?

Ok, I think I'm getting the picture here.

You've got speakers that have a headphone jack on the speaker itself, and that's what's running into the mixer, correct?

That's the wrong way to do it.

Run the ADAT into the Line Input of the PC, then open the Windows Mixer/Sound Properties.

You have to adjust both the Recording volume as well as the Wave volume, and any other settings you'll be using (i.e. "What U Hear" option, etc).

Then run out of the Speaker output of the PC into the Mixer. That means you'll have to disconnect the speakers from the PC.

Comment

Working...
                            X