X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crowley_67
    replied
    I have a question.i am using a studio 24 alesis adat studio. i am trying to run out of any output of the mixer into the mic input of my computer. i get this tremendous hum.ive turned of the monitor still noise,turned off the adat,same thing. so i tried running out of my speakers headphone jack (from the computer)into my mixer and get major hum.it all seems to be the mixing board.i can run my ipod into the mixer with no prob and mixer into the pa with no prob but when it comes to the computer in or out,i get major humming problems. do i need certain type of chords?

Leave a comment:

• Newc
    replied
    It would help to control input spikes, especially if you're miking a cab, a singer, or a drumkit.

Leave a comment:

• donvandam
    replied
    if I'm using a M-Audio FireWire Solo, do I need the Alesis 3630 infront of it?

Leave a comment:

• Newc
    replied
    Re: Newc\'s Home Recording Handbook - Lvl 1- Beginn

Though I haven't tried the SmartMedia recorders, I'd definitely like to hear from someone who has compared those to PC-Direct and HD-based recorders. Speed, tonal quality, etc etc.
    They seem like a far better idea than a hard drive or CD-RW, but I know there's a catch [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Leave a comment:

• charvelguy
    replied

Both Zoom & Korg makes portable handheld 4 trackers (Zoom also makes a 2 track) with smart media storage that is USB transferable to other media or your hardrive. Just look at Musicians Friend online, or eBay. The Digitech GNX4 and like models aren't as portable, but they also store your jam ideas and you can transfer to media or harddrive later. I'm sure there are a few others as well.

If you want cheap, look into a used cassette 4 tracker..I've bought one for like 30.00 that functions.

Leave a comment:

• InFlamed666
    replied

What if we cant get near our PCs? Anyone recommend a good beginner level portable studio jobby?

I can mic my amp, i didnt buy it to end up buying a POD aswell so i can sit in front of my pc plucking away :P

After something simple, basicaly:

amp > mic > limiter?\preamp? > portable (digital?) studio... ready to be transferred onto a PC later for arranging etc

Leave a comment:

• Newc
    replied

Some say yes, some say no. For home recording it should be fine. For a Pro Session, the shorter the better since the higher-end gear is more picky about things like that.

There used to be these isolation boxes you could buy/build that were about 1.5 times the size of the cabinet and had small holes in them for mic cables. Put the cab in the box, close the lid, crank the head, and roll tape [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Leave a comment:

• crowley_67
    replied

Will using a Long cab cord affect tone?I was wanting to put my cab in another room for recording but use a small instrument chord from my gtr to amp head...

Leave a comment:

• Newc
    replied

Hmmm. No experience with an ADAT either, so I don't know if you have to have your levels set before you run into it or if you can adjust all that later.

Leave a comment:

• crowley_67
    replied

[ QUOTE ]

Since you're recording into the PC through the mixer...

[/ QUOTE ]Im actually recording to a ADAT but i still understand.Thanks for the help!!!

Leave a comment:

• Newc
    replied

I'd either back the gain off or set the Nano for Peak Limiting (if it has that feature) rather than actual Compression. Compression will give you the same volume, but it'll swell up to that level. Peak Limiting will stop those notes from peaking/clipping entirely, though if your input gain or POD output is too high, Peak Limiting can sound just like Compression.

Since you're recording into the PC through the mixer, you can run your signal into the mixer and PC a little lower to control clipping, then boost the track in the software editor once you get it recorded.
    I find it's easier to do it that way than trying to watch what you're playing AND watch the clip indicators on the mixer.

Leave a comment:

• crowley_67
    replied

so the first thing i need to do is set the levels on my mixer so there is no clipping then adjust the processor after?Im taking baby steps on this process.Thanks for your reply.I am running a acoustic straight thru the board and hope to add effects later.I noticed tho when i strum a chord or play double stop type stuff on the e and b string around the 12/14 fret,i see clipping more than when i play single note lines.I have no idea if i need to compress my pod going into the board clean or with gain.Ive always wanted to learn to use a compressor.I know it can be a awesome tool.

Leave a comment:

• Newc
    replied

Not familiar with the Nano, only the 3630.

Settins are pretty much to taste, but start with the Threshold at about -10 to -15 for guitar.

Leave a comment:

• crowley_67
    replied

I have a Alesis Nanocompressor and several other compressors but the alesis looks easier to use so im going to start experimenting with it.I have no i dea where to start actually.I get confused from the first setting-threshhold.How do i know im not over doing it or under doing it.What do i look for in the LED`s when it comes to different instruments?

Leave a comment:

• Newc
    replied

You can get a tube mic preamp like the ART unit, but if you're recording straight into the mixer/PC, you don't need a power amp/speaker setup or anything like that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X