Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iron Maiden - The Trooper (cover / Boss GT-6 versus Line 6 Helix LT recording demo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Maiden - The Trooper (cover / Boss GT-6 versus Line 6 Helix LT recording demo)

First, the song recorded with my Boss GT-6. Check the Description section on Youtube itself for details about recording and production. Scroll down to my reply below for the second video (Line 6 Helix LT), since this forum only allows one embedded video per post.

Left channel guitar (Dave Murray's guitar parts) is my 1998 Jackson SHS1 Shannon Soloist. Right channel guitar (Adrian Smith's guitar parts) is my 1999 ESP/Edwards E-LP-90LTC '68 Les Paul Custom.

This is my first attempt at quad-tracking. Two Dave parts on the left, two Adrian parts on the right. I think it's worth the extra effort.

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 08-27-2017, 10:16 PM.

Second video, this time with the Line 6 Helix LT. Click on the video to view it on Youtube if you're interested in reading how to replicate my simple patch.

Which do you like better, the Boss GT-6 or the Line 6 Helix LT?

Comment

Is it me, or does the Helix sound darker/GT6 sound brighter? Are these going direct into your DAW?
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I wasn't trying to tone-match the Helix to the GT-6, nor was I trying to tone-match to the original song, so perhaps it's not a "true" comparison, and any differences heard could probably be attributed to multiple factors that differentiate the two units.

To me, the Helix is easier to get up and running with a usable tone. The patch I set up for the Helix recording was very quick with minimal tweaking. Guitar --> 1/4" cable --> Helix --> USB --> Audacity recording software in Windows 7.

The patch on the GT-6 is basically the patch I use when I play the GT-6 through the effects return of my Mesa DC-2, with gain dialed down. So it's basically my "live tone" that I've been using for about 15 years adapted for recording. Guitar --> 1/4" cable --> GT-6 --> 1/4" cable --> 1/8" adapter --> Front panel microphone input on computer --> M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card --> Audacity recording software in Windows 7.
        Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 08-28-2017, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Both sounds good. Like the way you tweaked the Boss a bit more TBH. Tight playing though!

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
            I wasn't trying to tone-match the Helix to the GT-6, nor was I trying to tone-match to the original song, so perhaps it's not a "true" comparison, and any differences heard could probably be attributed to multiple factors that differentiate the two units.

To me, the Helix is easier to get up and running with a usable tone. The patch I set up for the Helix recording was very quick with minimal tweaking. Guitar --> 1/4" cable --> Helix --> USB --> Audacity recording software in Windows 7.

The patch on the GT-6 is basically the patch I use when I play the GT-6 through the effects return of my Mesa DC-2, with gain dialed down. So it's basically my "live tone" that I've been using for about 15 years adapted for recording. Guitar --> 1/4" cable --> GT-6 --> 1/4" cable --> 1/8" adapter --> Front panel microphone input on computer --> M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card --> Audacity recording software in Windows 7.
            Just an observation. I do prefer the Helix patch because it sounds darker/thicker, at least to me. I've used the GT-6/8/10/100 and even a GX700 before those. The Helix is just so much easier to edit. Have you tried the PC editor or Helix Native plugin yet?
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Boss GT-6 on this one all the way. Much clearer and crisper to my ear! The GT-6 just sounded better to my ears, as the Helix had too much bottom end to me. Well done on both videos too!
              Last edited by Razor; 08-30-2017, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X