Possibly just made my best cover ever - Iron Maiden's 'Holy Smoke'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibly just made my best cover ever - Iron Maiden's 'Holy Smoke'

I recorded a cover of Iron Maiden's 'Holy Smoke', to me possibly the gem of what's a dark horse album for that band, No Prayer For The Dying. Really proud of this as it's probably the best sounding video I've ever done. What do you guys think?

- Andi Kravljaca -

I agree, Holy Smoke is a great song and has really grown on me over the years. Bruce's vocals are intense, Janick's solo is widely regarded as messy (even for Janick standards) and "unplayable" by all but himself, and Dave's solo is just beautiful. You did all three marvelously and sang ferociously. I loved the extra harmony part you added in Dave's solo.

If there is one small constructive comment I could add, it would be that the bass was too low in the mix and I would have loved to hear more of it. Maiden is so bass-driven because of Steve's leadership, sometimes nearly overpowering two guitars in the mix.

It was so fun watching that. Thank you for sharing. UP THE IRONS!

Comment

Sounds great! Agreed with the bass comment.

Also, not a knock against you, but I don't like the drum samples you have. Too mechanical with the fills etc. But the guitar tones were great, vocals were awesome, and a good mix overall!

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys - I agree that in retrospect, I could have done with a little more Steve, but I suppose I was just so in love with the rhythm tone I was getting that I let that take the driver's seat. The drums are just the stock Groove Agent SE plugin from Cubase, I'll have to look into getting something different eventually but for the moment they get the job done. Massive thanks for listening, and for the feedback!
        - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

Working...
        X