Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whitesnake - Still of the Night (Boss GT-6 direct recording tone test)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitesnake - Still of the Night (Boss GT-6 direct recording tone test)

This is my first attempt in many years to do direct recording with the Boss GT-6 processor. Since I'm a luddite when it comes to recording, this clip could be a good "before" in a "before-and-after" comparison.

Signal chain: Guitar --> Boss GT-6 --> mic input on the front of my computer. My sound card is an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 though I'm not sure to what influence it has on the sound quality since I didn't plug directly into it with the supplied cables. Recording software is Audacity.

Backing track is https://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/p..._the_night.htm.

Guitars are 1990 ESP Mirage Custom with Bare Knuckle Pickups Crawler (panned 50% left) and 2009 Charvel Pro-Mod So-Cal with DiMarzio Tone Zone (panned 50% right).

The clip:

https://soundcloud.com/notp1/whitesn...he-night-cover

Any feedback welcome! I'm wondering if an interface will improve the tone.

sounds pretty damn good! Great playing

Comment

Not bad my friend! Sounds good. Got that Boss typical tone. I like it. My Boss GT8 has been collecting dust lately and will to plug it sooner or later!

What amp sim were you using? 1959+OD??? That's my fav!

BTW I still have that same M-Audio soundcard in a box somewhere... Been using a Line6 USB interface for many years now.
      JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
      Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Thanks for turning me on to the guitar backing track site. I had so much fun yesterday!

Comment

I have a GT-5 but always got a thin, crappy tone when I tried to record on my old 4 track.
          www.vvforums.com

Comment

Thanks guys!

Here are the Boss GT-6 settings that I used for this recording. Very basic. Oddly I struggle obtaining satisfactory distorted tones with anything other than the "Metal Lead" preamp type.

Output Select: LINE/PHONES
            Preamp Type: Metal Lead
            Gain: 69
            Bass: 50
            Mid: 50
            Treble: 50
            Presence: 0
            Level: 46
            Gain SW: Middle
            Speaker SW: On
            SP Type: Original
            Mic Set.: Center
            Mic Level: 100
            Direct Level: 0
            Delay, Chorus, and Reverb to taste. No EQ, no overdrive, nothing else besides the above basic settings.

Below is the video to go with the clip! Featuring my 1990 ESP Mirage Custom (left channel, panned 50%) and 2009 Charvel Pro-Mod So-Cal (right channel, panned 50%).

Comment

Cool,,sounds pretty good.

MOSHON
              DAVE
              "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Very well done!

I like the tone from the left side better than the right. To me the right side was just a cunt hair muddy. Which means (and I hate to admit it) that I liked the ESP tone better than the Charvel's.

ETA: That Mirage is fuckin' badass!!!

Comment

The Tone Zone pickup has a huge emphasis on low-mids which can lead to mushiness, so I might try this simple adjustment (http://www.lonephantom.com/2010/08/d...e-zone-review/) to add some clarity and then record something else with it. Perhaps a comparison video/audio?

Comment

Working...
                  X