D-Day - just mixed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-Day - just mixed

Here is one of the last songs we are doing for our album. I think the mixes are getting better (we are doing the mix and master on our own). The lead guitar isn't tracked yet, but you'll get the overall picture of the mix.

Any thoughts or insights from the mix/master guys out there?

https://soundcloud.com/mike-dieringer/d-day

The guitars are a little too muffled, the vocals a touch too loud but sound fine. Sounds like too much noise reduction... What it boils down to me is guitars and bass could use a little more definition... it's like the crispness has been clipped from the stringed instruments.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thanks for the comment, I will see if I can remix, lower the vocals a touch and bring the bass and guitar up a little.

Comment

If you do tweak the track.

If it was me, I'd bring down the vocals a little, bring down that ride cymbal a little, and leave the guitar levels where they are but bring the high end up on them a little to get them to cut through the mix better and sound a little less muffled.
        My Toys:
        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
        '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
        '94 Dinky HX in Black
        '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

OK,since you asked here we go,,,

Vocals are way to loud as are the delays, bring them both down and try panning the delays 15deg. left or right doesn't matter and when the second voice comes in let it and the main revolve around each other 5deg each way( no more) so they don't step on each other, remain centered yet have movement(dynamics)

Bring the Guitars up just a couple db's and give them a small boost around 3.5k
          Hi/low pass around 90Hz / 11K respectively
          your vol adjustments at 2:03 and 2:17 are too much and too fast,, should not be able to hear them happen.

Cut the bass in the 300hz region add just a touch in the 6K area, bring the vol. down half of what you raised the guitars.

Cut the kick deep around 250hz and bring them up a few db, they are to low and should be almost as loud as the Snare. look at the spectrum's for the kick and Bass and Find what freq below 80 the bass is stepping on the kick and cut it.
          Cut a couple db off that cymbal, its louder than the whole kit.
          Snare need just a touch more girth, the crack is good just needs a bit more body.
          Toms need to come up for sure.

Bring that limiter back down a bit.

Try some of that and see how you fair. and make sure you look at the spectrum's to see who is stepping on each other.
          Hope that helps you out.

MOSHON
          DAVE
          "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Working...
          X