Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream Theater - Octavarium: V Razor's Edge

Hey guys,

Sat down to record one of my favorite solos the other day. I'm short on time these days to practice and write (grad school does that to you), so I figured I'd just have some fun and start recording some stuff I play along with pretty often. I think it turned out pretty good, not 100%... but I'm not JP.

Anyway, you can check out the SL2H in action. I removed the tone control, and yes that's still the stock JB. You might call me crazy since its known as a shrill pickup but it sounds good to me. Recorded with my Digitech GSP1101 direct into Reaper. I tried to make sure I was louder than the song in the background since I couldn't find a backing track that didn't suck.

Last edited by groverj3; 05-12-2014, 02:23 AM.

Very cool! Sweet looking guitar, too.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Cool axe, nice playing.
      Any way you could possibly put more shit into your sig?

Comment

Nicely played....

Comment

Nice tone and playing. I like older DT but Octovarium just bored the pants off me.
          I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

That was awesome, great playing & sounded way too good to be a Duncan (lolololol).

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
              Nice tone and playing. I like older DT but Octovarium just bored the pants off me.
              It was actually my first DT album and I hated it at first. That was back in high school and I was all about Children of Bodom, Death, Megadeth, Yngwie, Satch, etc at the time. However, I gave them another chance when Systematic Chaos came out. Been hooked ever since! I will say though, Octavarium is probably one of their least "metal" but proggiest albums.

Definitely love this solo though. Tone is alright, but you can tell this is only the poor man's AxeFx, lol.
              Last edited by groverj3; 05-12-2014, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by groverj3 View Post
                It was actually my first DT album and I hated it at first. That was back in high school and I was all about Children of Bodom, Death, Megadeth, Yngwie, Satch, etc at the time. However, I gave them another chance when Systematic Chaos came out. Been hooked ever since! I will say though, Octavarium is probably one of their least "metal" but proggiest albums.

Definitely love this solo though. Tone is alright, but you can tell this is only the poor man's AxeFx, lol.
                If you ask me axefx's are great but easy to get a good tone out of. Getting an awesome tone out of not so awesome gear is like playing a video game on the hard setting
                I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

^ I approve of this logic, haha.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I have a few more covers up on my youtube channel, perhaps I'll do a couple more. Certainly a fun way to pass time since I don't really have people to play with these days.

Comment

Good stuff.

I hated Octavarium for years as well, until a few months ago! Now I really enjoy it......just edit out the awful slide guitar by Jordan at the start of Octavarium itself and the album is a keeper!
                    www.vvforums.com

Comment

Working...
                    X