Test clipage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test clipage...

I was working up a new preset on my rig and I never use the Marshall sims but was messing around with one that sounds great through my Mesa cab, and thought I'd see if I could try to do something with it as it's not my usual flavor of tone.

I'm at a bit of a disadvantage though as my recoding room is a bit jacked up at the moment. I have a bunch of stuff all piled in here cause I'm working on another part of the house, so my room that is relatively tuned is out of whack,,,, and..... my internet computer monitor went to shit so i had to rob one of my DAW monitors for it, cause being unemployed for going on 2 years now,, I'm too damn poor to buy anything new
    ... so I dragged the old 52in HD DLP from one of the bedrooms an chunked it up on the console( and fuggin heavy all by oneself I'll tell ya).

If it was a thin ass LCD it would be AWESOME, I could just hang it on the front absorber unit like the little one I used to have up there but the thing is about 18 in. deep so it sits right at the front of the console and kinda interferes with the line of sound a little and it puts out a nasty hum in all my guitars like a CRT monitor and I hate it. I like that my old blind ass can read the screen great, but trying to mix and overcome all that plus the bullshit being jacked up from the crap in the back of the room is being a bitch.

Usually I kinda know for the most part what has to be for it to translate fairly well on other systems but this time it's all over the place on everything I usually check on ( some of which is in the room), so if you fellas don't mind,, give this little clip a couple of spins and let me know what sounds out of whack so I can make adjustments and learn what it needs to be where,,and if that guitar tone is worth a damn. it's just one little riff. I think the bass might be a touch loud though,,but I'm not sure.

Anyway..

https://soundcloud.com/moshwitz/afx2...bass-6-rtm-dwn

MOSHON
    DAVE
    Last edited by MOSHWITZ; 02-17-2014, 08:22 PM.
    "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Sounds really awesome Dave, as usual. The overall eq compared to your other clips is a little flat in the top end, sharpen it up above 8K to make it a little less muffled & maybe add a bit more thump to the kick.

The new tone is pretty sick though.

Comment

Yep, sounds fantastic Dave. Force: I'm so impressed you can offer that kind of advice. Wish my ears were that good.
      My other signature says something funny

Comment

Hell yeah!!! Rock on!!!
        I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Dave, as the others have said, awesome! I am always impressed by your right hand attack. I think Force is on to it. I'd like to hear those changes. The second clip, Metal Fingers, is pretty bad ass too! Keep up the most excellent work my brother. - Kevin
          "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Nice Dave... it's nice having the ability to change amps with the turn of a dial! Love listening to your playing bro.
            Hear the universe scream
            Bleeding from black holes
            Whom horns careless
            And whom God mourns

Comment

Thanks for the comps guys

Force.. Yeah,, that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I'll give it a tweek and post it later then let me know if it works out/ makes it worse whatever....

The riff itself is just BS, I just wanted something that had both Chords and meedlee meedlee, type shit to mess with mix wise, and wanted to try something new sound wise cause nothing sounds quite right to me lately plus everything is all jacked up in here so...

MOSHON
              DAVE
              Last edited by MOSHWITZ; 02-23-2014, 10:25 AM. Reason: forgot to MOSHON
              "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Nice, Dave!!! Unfortunately that's about all I can contribute to mixing and recording.

Comment

Thanks John ,, that is the All Seeing Warrior I'm using on this. It now has the BKP Ceramic Warpig that was in the Mirror warrior.

OK try this, I noticed I had an EQ still on the guitar buss that had some cuts I did from a recording of a 5150 sim still active. I took off all the cuts above 1k and moved the the low pass/hi cut to 10k. I put an extra send on the the kick, and sent the kick out, gave it a little girth, then I bussed a little back into the drum master buss.

see how this one is.

https://soundcloud.com/moshwitz/9-14-afx273-bark-bass-nebzone

MOSHON
                  DAVE

Comment

Yeah, that's got it. Is this part of an existing song or just an idea?

Force Tweak

Comment

Right on Yeah,, I thought that might be amusing

Na,, it's all Bullshit,, I was just dicking around. I'll use the main riff in something,, but all the wanking will go.

Thanks
                      MOSHON
                      DAVE

Comment

Sounds killer Dave!!!!
                        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Hey Dave. Sounding good.

Comment

Dave, I like the lower mid girth in the second clip.. not listening to it on my Pro Tools system.. just my lap top.. but I like the bottom mid and the punch on the second clip..
                            What guitar plug in are you using?
                            Are you layering your kicks? side chain? side chain to a triggered tone generator?... I tend to layer kicks and snares even with acoustic tracks.. fill in any thing I think is missing body wise or attack to the tone.. I layer snares a few different ways also.
                            Thanks for sharing!
                            DiMarzio Endorsee
                            www.dimarzio.com
                            Morley Endorsee
                            www.morley.com
                            "Intelli-Shred" author
                            www.myspace.com/intellishred
                            NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

Originally posted by KevinDguitar View Post
                              Dave, I like the lower mid girth in the second clip.. not listening to it on my Pro Tools system.. just my lap top.. but I like the bottom mid and the punch on the second clip..
                              What guitar plug in are you using?
                              Are you layering your kicks? side chain? side chain to a triggered tone generator?... I tend to layer kicks and snares even with acoustic tracks.. fill in any thing I think is missing body wise or attack to the tone.. I layer snares a few different ways also.
                              Thanks for sharing!
                              Thanks Kev. +guys

Well, I'm only using My Axe-fx ultra, on the GTR bus I really don't have a lot going on, some Low pass/ Hi pass eq with a few dips and cuts here and there,, a very slight multiband comp around 250'ish to help tame some mud down there, and just a touch of tape sim. BUT,,,I do have a few instances of Nebula 3 simulating a classic NEVE console chain( still working on that)

Yes, I do about the shame thing,,whatever I feel is needed. the Kik gets layered by adding an X-drum in Superior then I single bus everything out of superior to individual tracks along with a stereo mix. The Kick and Snare get sent to there own busses and then to some Compression/ tape sim/ whatever else... then injected back in.

I will also trigger out samples( even with acoustic tracks) I'll use Drumagog or something similar depending on how I need to do it.

Here is something for you.....when I work with other bands or a just a drummer who is uptight about augmenting with samples,,the first thing I do is get the drums all tuned up,,and make Multi samples( of various velocities) of Their Own Kit,,,that way I can trigger that back in to take care of anything wonky that might arise. I have found that even with the guys that usually buck the sample system don't bitch and just accept it's how its done ;-)

Anyway.....Wow I kinda forgot about this one as I've been a little busy with some actual work. I had scored some remodel work and have been busy with that and my bathroom renovation.( all on the cheap though cause I'm still in a tight so I male all the trim and stuff..lol) Then my DAW rig decides it was going to retire without even a 2 week notice,, so I had to raid my ever dwindling gear horde and got rid of a couple things and built an 8 core rig.( that I have to work some bugs out of.) Then, The Mackie D8b mixer I have decides it wants out too, and has given me a Bios ROM chip error, so I'm gonna have to track a chip down somehow as the Board will not boot up.

But in the mean time,, I moved the big TV back out as I wound up with a little ass monitor for my internet rig so I got to put the dual monitors back up,, but the room is still all jacked with other stuff for now..little by little I'll get back in order and in the groove.

not guitar related,, but one of the reasons for me not playing so much...,,,Here is a little before and ..where it is now... on the Bathroom...still have some shit to build and wood to mill.

MOHSON
                              DAVE

Comment

Working...
                              X