how do you guys sync video and sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you guys sync video and sound?

how do you guys sync video and sound when not micing the speaker but going straight to the computer?
    '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
    '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
    custom made Les Paul
    VOX Tonelab LE
    Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
    ADA MP1
    BBE 422A
    Lexicon MPX-G2
    ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
    Support Your Local 81

I just go into premiere and put both waveforms really big and sync visually. It always works for me.
    Facebook - Youtube

Comment

But if you are not using and amp and going straight to the DAW?
      custom made Les Paul
      VOX Tonelab LE
      ADA MP1
      BBE 422A
      Lexicon MPX-G2
      ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
      Support Your Local 81

Comment

I record the sound with garageband and video with cellphone. Then sync both on iMovie.
        Life can be good with right people.
        Andi Deris

Comment

Originally posted by El Chiguete View Post
          But if you are not using and amp and going straight to the DAW?
          Yup, that's the way I'm doing it. I record the video with the video camera and the sound in Cubase using Guitar Rig or something along those lines. Then I just export the audio to premiere and sync video and audio there.
          Last edited by kuerbo; 02-09-2014, 05:26 PM.
          Facebook - Youtube

Comment

That's the way to do it. You're running twin signals into the computer. If you've got a video editor (which you should if you're making videos) it should allow you to record both audio and video in a live stream, but you may not be able to use your camera as a webcam (can't pass incoming signal to the output, only during playback - that would be a camera limitation).

If that's the case, then run your live playing into the DAW while recording to the camera. Dump the camera to the PC when finished and line up your DAW's recorded track with the camera's audio track (there will be differences in length due to having one recording before the other one, especially if your DAW automatically cuts out leading silence).

Definitely want to use an audible intro click count for this. You'll want that as an alignment reference if you have to manually edit the timing.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              That's the way to do it. You're running twin signals into the computer. If you've got a video editor (which you should if you're making videos) it should allow you to record both audio and video in a live stream, but you may not be able to use your camera as a webcam (can't pass incoming signal to the output, only during playback - that would be a camera limitation).
              Any sugestions on a decent camera?
              custom made Les Paul
              VOX Tonelab LE
              ADA MP1
              BBE 422A
              Lexicon MPX-G2
              ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
              Support Your Local 81

Comment

What camera are you using at the moment?
                Facebook - Youtube

Comment

A cheap 2.0 megapixels Microsoft's LifeCam NX-6000.

http://www.hardware-pacers.com/pages...=354&catType=r
                  custom made Les Paul
                  VOX Tonelab LE
                  ADA MP1
                  BBE 422A
                  Lexicon MPX-G2
                  ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
                  Support Your Local 81

Comment

i use a MS lifecam. Overall Im pleased with this camera..
                    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Microsoft-...000101&veh=cse

its nice but the software that comes with it doesnt have any option to switch the audio source(i.e. can only the mic).. so I use another program called DEBUT video capture which works pretty good..and set the audio to "what you hear" and use Guitar Rig for my amp..
                    GEAR:
                    #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
                    #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
                    #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
                    #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
                    #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
                    AMPS:
                    1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
                    ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

The "What You Hear" is exclusive to SoundBlaster, as I understand. It comes with their audio device control software. Shame, too, cuz it worked with everything. MS's default mixer is useless; won't interface with the MOTU Audio Express through the USB, and for some reason the front-panel controls won't affect the volume of the Master Output, so everything's blasting through my monitors unless I tweak it in the DAW.

That gets to be a PITA with 20+ tracks.

As for a decent camera, I looked into it a few years ago and have been hooked on 3CCD cameras ever since. Much better image quality over cheaper 1CCD units. They're pricey, but IMO image quality is just as important as sound quality. Currently I've got a JVC HD-6, which I picked up a few years ago for about $600. I'm sure they're cheaper now. As long as it still functions, I'd say get one. They can't be used to stream directly into the PC, though. Still, there's the click track idea. Maybe even have the click playing through the speakers so the camera picks it up. You're dumping that audio track anyway.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                      X