Mutant aircraft.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mutant aircraft.

Okay then, it's no surprise that new technology is constantly evolving and none more than in aviation. It's also no surprise that to save costs of building aircraft to accommodate the latest of the latest, companies resolve to customizing older aircraft to try the new stuff out, saving themselves and the government millions.

But it does make for some very unusual looking aircraft, some of them even looking mutated. With bulges and blisters on their otherwise smooth metal fuselages and wings.

The British Aerospace Nimrod Maritime patrol aircraft was based on the famous De Havilland DH-106 Comet Airliner, so when the airborne warning version of the Nimrod was being developed, the people at British Aerospace aviation deemed that it made perfect sense to use a surplus Comet Airframe to test out the elaborate radar equipment on.

This North American "Sabreliner" private Jet was used to test out F16 avionics and they were stored in an actual F16 nose.

This Douglas DC3 Dakota of the Canadian Airforce was used to test out avionics meant for the Canadian built version of the Lockheed F104 Starfighter, again, they just bolted a nose from a Starfighter to the aircraft.

I guess the name on the fuselage says enough.

But by far the strangest was this modified Convair C 131 cargo plane that was used to test out flight simulator technology IN FLIGHT. (Go figure) and so they just jammed the entire cockpit section into the nose of that plane.

Heh heh - "Nimrod"

I'm amazed that even the Brits would find that a suitable name for something they don't intend to be a failure, as Nimrod is synonymous with "bad idea".
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Dodgy beaks
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        Heh heh - "Nimrod"

I'm amazed that even the Brits would find that a suitable name for something they don't intend to be a failure, as Nimrod is synonymous with "bad idea".
        Well seeing as both the Original Hawker Nimrod...

...and the modern Day Nimrod...

...are excellent aircraft with a good service record I guess they must have done SOMETHING right.

Comment

I always was most intrigued by WWII era prototypes. It was really anything goes, and the jet age was dawning so people were looking for ways to keep prop jobs competitive. Some were great planes too late to make a difference, some were "plane" old crap, and others were weird. The greatest shame perhaps is most of them have long since been junked.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
            Dodgy beaks
            Band name anyone?

There is also a nimrod sniper scope - rumor has it that it wasn't set up right from the start. Bu dum psha!

Just kidding - unfortunate name, but real nonetheless.
            When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimrod
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Evil Nimrod = great band name!
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

We have empty missiles at school, and a hangar, and like 7-8 airplanes at the museum. One of them's a Harrier. And they even have a locomotive there(dunno why)
                  I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Working...
                  X