Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure where to ask this.....

so I put it here.

Has anyone here ever covered amp heads/cabs/combos in tolex?

I am trying to figure out how to use this stuff without wasting too much of it.

In all reality I don't think the stuff I have is real tolex. My wife grabbed a few linear feet for me from a fabric store, but it is almost a dead on match for my Crate combo's tolex.

I am building an under the amp peadlboard drawer. It works pretty fuckin sweet but right now it is bare wood, and the last thing I gotta do is put the tolex/tolex like covering on it to make it complete.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bill
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Hey- I was researching this when my trusty Marshall 2204 head and 1960B cab got all burnt up when our practice garage went up in flames last April. I am pretty sure there is a whole tutorial on the Marshall Amp Forum somewhere about doing a tolex job. Other than that, I say if it is a small project, just figure it out for yourself trial and error style.

Comment

right, just google "applying tolex" and you'll be good to go.

I used the liquid glue that comes in the can, and you just cut to fit first, then glue and smooth down with a straight edge covered by a towel to protect the tolex. staple and wait to dry.

it's kind of a pain to work with. I just did a board that I used to close in an open back combo cabinet.
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

should corners and sharper/pointed edges be sanded round to protect it from being cut/torn?
        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

If it was me, I'd put a layer of Gorilla Tape on the corners prior to installing the Tolex.
          "POOP"

Comment

Definitely round the edges and corners slightly. You'll want a tight fit and if it's too sharp, you'll poke holes in the covering. You won't need a perfectly round beveled edge, just take the edge off (at LAST! a situation where that phrase can be applied literally! ).

Get some giftwrap or some Shipping/Craft paper (comes on a roll like giftwrap, but it's pretty thick like the old paper grocery bags) and practice with that, because the corners will be the hardest parts.

You'll want to cut the covering at the corners at an angle directly towards the corner point, not straight out to either side. This will allow you to wrap the corners without having that hard-to-work-with "flute" that would normally form without cutting, and is a PITA to deal with.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Tolexing my 2x12 I managed to do 7 corners great and fucked up the last one, the one that'd be sitting closest to eyeshot

I got the fabric from...I really don't know the shop, I enlisted my sister to help there and used spray glue, you got a few seconds before it gets tacky and hard to move, still holding up good! I googled and got a great pictorial tutorial of the process from some site, unfortunately I lost the bookmark.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
              X