AVG Free - stuck in Restart loop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVG Free - stuck in Restart loop?

Anyone using AVG 8.0.176 (Free version)? Mine seems to be stuck in a "Update needs restart" loop. I let it restart my PC, then after about 5 minutes the popup appears again saying "Update needs restart".

The PC is restarting each time, not just reloading Windows.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

I'm not using that, but I had that loop problem with some Microsoft updates when Service Pack 3 was added. I just did a system restore and went back to before SP3 was added, now it's fine.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, since the XP installation CD came with SP3.....
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

avg has some quirks to put it mildly...try the obvious first...see if you can get booted in safe mode and remove avg completely...i had to try a number of times to fix a friends comp that was doing the same thing...get rid of avg any way you can...d.m.
        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

My dad's PC has AVG (I installed it for him ) and does the same thing. He's had bad luck with virus checkers. He has an older Dell that had memory leak problems with Norton--the PC was basically unusable while it had Norton on it. I tried to get him buy McAfee, but he didn't want to spring for another subscription while his Norton subscription was still running. AVG seemed just fine at first. Wonder if they've got a fix?

Comment

You're lucky then. There's been a GIGANTIC bug with AVG a month ago, it would delete a dll file, sticking your PC in an eternal reboot loop (not even getting into windows)

I had to work in DOS to get the shit running again.
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

So I'm assuming I shouldn't put that on my laptop right now?
              "Dear Dr. Bill,
              I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

goto: C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8

rename: updatecomps.cfg to updatecomps.cfg.old

run avg updater

reboot

should fix!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                  So I'm assuming I shouldn't put that on my laptop right now?

I'd recommend Avast if you're looking for a free a AV program.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                    I'd recommend Avast if you're looking for a free a AV program.
                    Okay, thanks for the recommendation!
                    "Dear Dr. Bill,
                    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Yeah, Avast and CCleaner are all I need. Ad-Aware gets used every once in awhile, too.
                      I used an older version of AVG awhile ago, but didn't care for it all too much.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post

run avg updater

reboot

should fix!
                        +1 This is sound advice. Norton sucks as it uses too much system RAM, as does Mcaffee. And if you have to download a removal tool for something (ie Norton) I don't damn well trust it. I've had one issue with AVG (other than the above one) and an uninstall and reinstall did the trick. I've certainly never had a virus in the 5 years I've been using AVG
                        Gear: Charvel Model 3, Marshall Reverb 30, Fender Squier Telecaster, Digitech GNX-1, GHS Boomers and a whole lot of Dunlop picks.... Oh, and a Hohner Harmonica - key of A

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post

run avg updater

reboot

should fix!
                          Fixed, though I screwed up and restarted before updating - had to hit the button as it hung on restart. Then it hung again trying to read a USB drive that's dying - turned that off, rebooted yet again, ran the updater (got a TON of updates for it as well) and haven't had the problem again

Comment

Is there a difference between the FREE version and the FREE TRIAL version? I think I downloaded the latter, and it says that I only have x days remaining.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Wow, Avast is crazy! I uninstalled Norton with the tool and installed Avast. My RAM usage went down from 49% when idle to between 34-36%! That's insane! Games run noticeably smoother! I can actually play some without them lagging. Wow, I didn't realize how much of a system hog Norton actually was.
                              "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

Working...
                              X