No announcement yet.

Kickass Christmas gift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I snagged some reprints of the Troy Stetina books I had back in the 80's, I was blown away that they were still around! Back in the day, I had my basic theory and enough notation experience to figure out a song slowly, but could never (and probably never will!) sight read. I was too busy learning by ear, composing original stuff and plain too proud to spend much time on lessons even though one of the guys I still look up to was always hungry to learn more and varied information on an instrument he was an accomplished master of (Did you guess RR? ). Anyway, I can't play for long periods of time due to nerve damage from some neck and back injuries, but the time I can spend learning from those books, or say, Guitarport Online, I find I take a little more from in terms of skill and understanding. Lessons are for everybody regardless of level of talent; the top guys just are better at utilizing their practice time to where they are learning as well, rather than jamming which is something we all tend to do when we sit down with intentions of practicing or learning! Congrats on the great wife; that was a creative gift for sure!
    There is no "team" in "Fuck You!"

Comment

Thanks guys- My lessons were supposed to start next week, but I called & took the same slot starting tonight.....Why wait??

I have Troy's books too & will use them to supplement what goes on at the lessons.

Like many of you I had been saying, "I should take lessons I should I should" for the last couple years. My wife was listening & knew how to blow through my constant putting it off as life seemed to intervene- It's like they say: "There's never going to be a perfect time to have children.". I was never going to be perfectly, magically unbusy enough to feel like I could commit...but that's the point- it's important to ya so you gotta make it fit.

Vass

Comment

Good for you Vass!
        This kinda happened to me recently. The guys across the street plays with his wife as an acoustic set at small clubs and such. He was having computer problems and asked me to look at this stuff. Three days later I take his stuff back to him and he is so happy he offers me a hour lesson a week for 6 months, no charge. He has been playing for years and is very fond of the Breedlove & Taylor high end guitars. I gave him my Jackson to look at cause it had a buzz in the strings and he didn't want to mess with it as all he really knew was acoustic guitars. He has taken the mystery out of alot of stuff I had bought and looked at online. I have picked at tabs for a couple years with no real progression towards a whole song. I am stoked for sure each day its lesson night!
        The little woman has noticed that I am more serious about the guitar and thus the purchase of the Line 6 Spider 150watt. That little gift sure put some fire in my ass to learn more. I thank her daily for that little jem!

Comment

Well.. how'd it go?
          Gear:
          Jackson Dinky Rev. Pro
          Jackson Kelly (KE3?), Lawrence equipped
          Ibanez RG320
          Ensanada Acoustic
          Peavey Bandit 112
          Soon to Be:
          Pedals!

Comment

Working...