Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me about female-fronted metal bands.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about female-fronted metal bands.

I can't remember if I posted about this a while back or not, but I'm going to be playing guitar in my wife's band. To be more specific, her old band split up (drummer and guitarist flaked out) so she and the bassist (now our roommate) decided to just start over from scratch. I had previously offered to fill in on guitars in the old band, but since they're starting over, it made sense for me to join right at the start.

For me, it's an opportunity to do something a little different from what I'm used to, not only in terms of playing with a female singer, but also from a songwriting perspective. I'm playing seven-stringed guitars for this, more clean and/or "ambient" parts, and the pace is a bit more relaxed - think Alice in Chains meets Type O Negative meets old In Flames - with a mellower vibe overall. When I think of metal that has more emphasis on strong melodies and memorable hooks than speed and complexity, the word "catchy" enters my vocabulary, and that's strange territory for me.

What I *don't* want to do is play exactly the same style as dozens or hundreds of other female-fronted bands. I know about Doro Pesch, and about Amy Lee, but nothing that falls in the middle. I'm familiar with the growling style of Angela Gossow or the almost exclusively operatic style of Lori Olson (Aesma Daeva, Therion, others) but that's about it, and neither of these describe what we'll be doing. Maybe if Tori Amos sang on Clayman, or Sarah McLachlan on that last November's Doom album? I don't expect to do something totally unique, but I don't want my attempts at trying a different style to turn into a virtual copy of a band or entire genre that I'm totally unfamiliar with. So, if anyone could name off a few bands (and provide audio links) to some bands I should perhaps be aware of - even if to totally avoid them - it would help me out! I went from being the fill-in to the driving force in this, so I have a lot more invested in this project than I originally expected.
    sigpic

You're making me think of Pat Benatar and Neil Geraldo. Use her voice as a guide and write GOOD SONGS that emphasize her strengths and unique abilities. Personally, I can't stand watching or listening to a woman that tries to growl like a male vocalist. There is nothing wrong with writing "catchy" songs - those are the ones that have the best potential to make money. Give it hell and best of luck.
    You sir, can go you fuck yourself and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.
    You're such a pretencious, phony, boring, transparent, self righteous worthless fuck..You are amusing as a genital wart!
    --horns666 - 12/08/08

Hey, if those are fake tits..is fake titty fuggin' cheatin'? I say no!
    --horns666 - 12/29/08
    I think your dad jacked off in a flower pot and you were born a blooming idiot.
    --LouSiffer - 06/25/09

Comment

Check out Lacuna Coil, too. Christina Scabbia is similar to Amy Lee, but more metal and stronger overall material. They've had a radio tune or two. I saw them open up for Type O and they really blew me away.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
        Check out Lacuna Coil, too. Christina Scabbia is similar to Amy Lee, but more metal and stronger overall material. They've had a radio tune or two. I saw them open up for Type O and they really blew me away.
        +1
        Maybe Evanescence (sp?) too.

Comment

Lacuna Coil and Evanescence are about the only two that came to mind, but frankly, I'm not any more familiar with them than any others except by name. I ought to know more bands in the genre that I do, either by osmosis or attending both years of the Flight of the Valkyries festival, which consists entirely of female-fronted metal bands. My wife's previous band played the second year and were quite well received for being newcomers, but most of the bands had more of a power metal or NWOBHM vibe in most regards.

I'm going to "demo" some songs to her this weekend and then play them for the new drummer/engineer. His main band is touring on and off through the winter, and Under Eden is *still* working on a new album, so this project can move at a somewhat more relaxed pace until schedules clear up. By then, I should have several songs wrapped up.
          sigpic

Comment

Lee Aaron and Femme Fatale if you're talkin' about 80's style hard rock.

Comment

Oh yeah, and Kittie

Comment

Originally posted by joelayres View Post
                You're making me think of Pat Benatar and Neil Geraldo. Use her voice as a guide and write GOOD SONGS that emphasize her strengths and unique abilities. Personally, I can't stand watching or listening to a woman that tries to growl like a male vocalist. There is nothing wrong with writing "catchy" songs - those are the ones that have the best potential to make money. Give it hell and best of luck.
                +1000

and watch out for the bassist / room mate or it will be like Fleetwood Mac

Comment

Twilight Odyssey .. NY band, with a real power singer a-la Dio
                  You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

Drain sth, kickass stuff. I have their first two albums but never heard anything more from them after that......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVtBRO_FxYQ
                    I'm not into hell.........I just dig the soundtrack.........

Comment

I'm not quite sure what you're chasing, soundwise, but here are a few female fronted bands I recommend.

Beautiful Sin:
                      http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=akm2bhxxgsg
                      Skunk Anansie:
                      http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=xEp8yJPjedU
                      Drain (vocally, their harmonies always reminded me of AIC):
                      http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=EVtBRO_FxYQ
                      http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=6P3MdBkDMT0
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                        Skunk Anansie were awesome!

Here's one from Guano Apes. The singer kind of reminds me of Jizzy Pearl from Love/Hate who later was in Ratt after Stephen Pearcy was gone.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFvCx6w_ptE
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

What about Frodo or Doro... you dikey looking blonde that sung like a drunken Cher.
                          Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Here is a chic band that you don't want to be like. You can watch a video of them and you will never forget it either.
                            "clicky"

(NSFW!)
                            Last edited by phill_up; 12-26-2008, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Check out Walls of Jericho (more of a hardcore band), but Candice fucking brings it, and also Bloodshoteye, found them through that new "Working Class Rockstar" DVD. Good stuff.
                              Both bands are not exactly the sound it sounds like you're going for, but could be something your wife could look to for inspiration.
                              EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

Working...
                              X