Musicians Institute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musicians Institute

Hey, this thread goes out to anyone that's attended some sort of Music School, preferably Musicians Institute (LA). I'm definitely leaning towards going to MI, but the main motives to going there was to improve my playing, obviously, and after looking online and seeing some video demonstrations it seems that MI is more about being "in" the industry, rather than improving your playing and what not.

If anyone could give me some insight on how their experience was, and what to expect and how stuff really works there, please inform.

Such as: are there a lot of really really good players, was it worth attending, did it improve your playing A LOT, etc..

Thanks.
    Originally posted by horns666
    The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

'm seeing the birmingham conservatoire in a few weeks to see about studying there possibly. If yous just wanting to improve your playing i'd suggest that will be way over your head. It is for the industry and you would be expected to be a high standard already not just a hobbyist. You wanna maybe just go see a private tutor probably

Comment

I assume you're looking to go there to get a music degree? I don't think there's a more worthless degree to get. If you want to be in the music industry (session musician, back-up band, etc.) then you just have to be really good and be really good at sight-reading. Then you have to work your ass off to get your name out there and meet the right people.

If it's just for personal learning, then go for it, but also get a degree you can get a job with.

edit: I have a music degree (B.A.) but gave up on any hope of getting a career out of it when I realized that the professors were all amazing musicians that still had to gig on weekends to make ends meet. My comp sci degree is guaranteed income.
      Last edited by Spivonious; 08-24-2008, 09:17 AM.
      Scott

Comment

Yep, I know a couple of cats who went to MI. Looks like they haven't had a meal or a bath in weeks.
        "POOP"

Comment

I know someone that attended MI. You will get out of it, whatever you put into it. There are alot of excellent players there and there is lot of competition. He said that whenever he wasn't attending class or performances, he was in his room practicing. It improved his playing tremendously.

IMO someone could improve there playing on their own, without going to a school, if you have the dedication and determination. Not to mention, you could save alot of $. Those scools aren't cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by dannyr View Post
            IMO someone could improve there playing on their own, without going to a school, if you have the dedication and determination. Not to mention, you could save alot of $. Those scools aren't cheap!
            I sort of feel the same way, but I think being around so many styles and what would also help develop your own style.

I really want to improve my playing and bring it to the next level (pro level, for sure..), that's my main goal. I'd really like to become a guitar teacher, and I'm sure some sort of certificate or degree from MI would help my chances.

But...25 thousand dollars is a lot of money for something I could essentially, some what, do on my own..
            Originally posted by horns666
            The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post
              I sort of feel the same way, but I think being around so many styles and what would also help develop your own style.

I really want to improve my playing and bring it to the next level (pro level, for sure..), that's my main goal. I'd really like to become a guitar teacher, and I'm sure some sort of certificate or degree from MI would help my chances.

But...25 thousand dollars is a lot of money for something I could essentially, some what, do on my own..
              Why not go for a music education degree? Tons of schools offer them, and you'd get a wider education too. And talk about exposure! At my college we had students from every part of music. It's also much easier to find a job teaching at a school than to build up a schedule of students for guitar lessons.
              Scott

Comment

IMO, if you're going to sink that kind of money into something, make sure you can use it for something. Music Education, Industry, or Engineering would give you something you could use afterward besides just play.
                Also, depending on your goals, keep in mind that some great music schools (I believe Berklee and MIT) give diplomas, not degrees.

Comment

Working...
                X