The scariest looking aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The scariest looking aircraft

Okay it's a given that if you're going to fight, you ought to look the business making sure that with looks alone you could scare the living daylights out of people. And none more is that evident in warplanes, if it were done on purpose I can't say but some warplanes really looked scary. Let's talk about the meanest looking aircraft.

To start off I'll name the Fairchild Republic A 10 Thunderbolt II or to call it by the affectionate nickname "The Warthog"

With the warthog it's function over looks and this tankbuster does its job well, it can sustain incredible punishment and come back for more and with its HUGE nose fitted seven barrel cannon it can inflict serious damage in its own right. That nose with the off-center mounted cannon looks a bit like a Mobster with a cigar in his mouth ready to have somebody "Sleeping with the fishes."
    "You want some of this, ya punk?"

Then there's the Messerschmitt 262 "Shwalbe" (Swallow) which looked a lot like a shark.

If the great white shark was an airborne animal he'd probably ended up looking like this: sleek, fast and deadly. Even the way it was camoflaged was sharky, the grey on top made it difficult to spot from the top while the light colored belly was difficult to see from below, just like it is with a Great white.
    Even the shark's trademark, the triangle shaped dorsal fin is there in the profile of the Me 262

MIG-built fighters themselves were scary opponents for many pilot unfortunate enough to oppose one but the scariest looking of them was no doubt the MIG 17 PF "Fresco"

The MIG 17 series reached its pinnacle with the PF model which was an all weather radar equipped version. That then state-of-the-art radar is also what makes the "Fresco" look as scary as it does. Early versions of the MIG 17 had a flat ring shaped air intake but with the radar done in the middle of that air intake and a ground detection radar in a lip on top of that air intake it ends up looking like a monster with its mouth wide open and tongue extended, ready to snap you up and devour you.
    In contrast, this is the nose and air intake of an older model MIG 17

However, the scariest looking aircraft of all time must be the Junkers Ju 87 STUKA

The large cowling under the nose, its inverted gull wings and fixed under carriage made it look like a bird of prey with its beak open and its talons extended, ready to dive right at you. And that's exactly what the Sturz kampf flugzueg (Diving fighter aircraft) was designed to do, to dive at you like a bird of prey, drop the lethal payload and then pull up again. It basically was the fore runner of smart weapons, the entire airframe was used to direct the bomb straight onto its target. When used in that role during the Blitzkrieg, they were highly effective and were the scourge of many cyvilian or allied soldier who encountered them.
    A surviving Stuka, this picture clearly shows its eagle-like appearence

Originally posted by Blazer View Post

Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Was wondering how long it'd take to respond and bam, first post

Comment

After Corsairs, I'm an ME 262 fan myself. The Stuka was bad ass though.
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

How about a B-52 loaded to the gills with 2,000 lb bombs. It will leave a trail of destruction on the ground below.
          How about a AC-130 Spectre gunship with just about every damn caliber weapon on board, spitting fire to the ground below.
          Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe_Steeler View Post
            How about a B-52 loaded to the gills with 2,000 lb bombs. It will leave a trail of destruction on the ground below.
            How about a AC-130 Spectre gunship with just about every damn caliber weapon on board, spitting fire to the ground below.
            Yup, I just flew the AC-130 yesterday ..... of course it was in COD 4 though
            ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

P 40

...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

If we're talking looks only, the B-58 gets my vote.

This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

My fav from WWII the P38 Lightning.

Comment

Hard to beat this one...

Comment

Love the P38's!

Comment

You'll never see this one unless the pilot allows you to see his ship.

There is no "team" in "Fuck You!"

Comment

could you imagine seeing one of these above you? I think I'd have to change my underwear, twice.

the B52, nuff said.
                          93 USA Soloist EDS
                          USA HT6 Juggernaut
                          Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Stuka gets my vote. But this is not an ordinary one. Hans Ulrich Rudel was using this machine back in the day. Scary as shit if you look at his score board.

-2530 sorties (including some 400 in a folke-wulf 190).
                            -11 air to air victories (in the fw-109).
                            -519 tanks destroyed (30+of these came when he was only flying with one leg).
                            -150 artillery pieces destroyed.
                            -1000 vehicles destroyed.
                            -70 landing crafts.
                            -sunk battleship “marat”.
                            -2 cruisers and a destroyer sunken.

With the siren and the unmistakeble look it is the best.

And don't forget the fact that A-10's design comes from this very man himself. They are just like ancestors. Both are low level ground attack planes and great threat to tanks.

As for the air to air combat it is Messerschmit. (IMO)
                            IIRC back in the pacific some pilots retreated because they had come up against japanese pilots flying messerschmitts. (they were actually ki61's).

But for the scarriest "look" i say it is hawker typhoon.

Nightmare of the panzer.

Comment

Check the add-on machine gun pods on that Stuka...
                              Holy fuck.
                              LOL
                              No wonder he has such a full card.
                              You could pretty much get that thing over enemy territory and just hold the go button while you fly in a circle and come home.
                              Just imagine the things that would have bullet holes in them. hehe

My vote:
                              I like the P-51 Mustang...

It's sexy mean... and they are still running them in air races.
                              Last edited by nhspike; 06-14-2008, 05:40 AM. Reason: added pic
                              "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                              --floydkramer

Comment

Working...
                              X