monster cable problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monster cable problems?

I'm in a local covers band and I run a Carvin V3 through a GenzBenz g-flex 2x12 and have the Boss GT-8 in btwn. I use Monster cables for all my runs back and forth and for the guitar, all of it.

I use the 4CM and have been very happy with all of that gear. love the GT-8. anyway, all was good for several shows and then oddly my loop would not work right. it came through but the GT-8 controls would not work at all on the loop patch. I figured either I hit a wrong button or there was some short or something. everything else was fine. planned to post about that issue on the GT-8 forums but did not get around to it then.

we did a few more shows, and then last wknd I set up for a show and all I could get was my Channel 1 on the V3. no channels 2 or 3 which is a major problem. I was freaking out and could not dx what the problem was. I had to majorly tweek my Ch 1 (metal channel) to try to get it clean enough to play all my stuff through the GT-8, and it was passable, but still. I did not consider taking the GT-8 out of the picture altogether to troubleshoot, it was just minutes before the show and I was in a panic and I had one channel so I went with that.

so I take in the amp to the Hollywood Carvin store thinking it's messed up and they get it plugged in and all 3 channels worked. I was like, WTF? so they go, what kind of cables are you using? I say Monster. they look at each other and go, "we knew it."

they are saying Monster cables are just slightly larger/wider on the input jack than other brands or the standard jack measurement. and that this damages the female jack receptor over time, with many ins and outs (LOL) like the 4CM requires when you're gigging and that this was what caused my problems. they said that they have had many complaints like mine over the past couple years, and the Monsters have always been the one constant.

I then went to the Mesa store and related this to them and they agreed and said they have heard the same thing. I then got a George L guitar cable from them and some Carvin cables to run from the GT-8 to the amp.

anyone else heard of this problem with Monster cables?
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

I smell class action lawsuit.

Comment

I have noticed that they fit a little more snug but didn't think it would be doing damage. Very interesting!
      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by åron View Post
        I smell class action lawsuit.
        Damned right!
        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

The one I have is certainly a tighter fit than my other cheapo cables. I always considered it a good thing though...

Comment

Mogami cables with neutrik connectors. I make all my own so I know exactly how they're made. I dont trust store bought stuff ya never know if the chinaman was in a good mood that day or not.

Comment

I find only the Monster speaker cables seem to fit tighter. You're not using speaker cables for the 4CM with your GT8, are you? Only use speaker cables when going from the amp head to the speaker cab. Use instrument cables for the guitar and effects. I'd assume you'd know that, but just in case...
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                I find only the Monster speaker cables seem to fit tighter. You're not using speaker cables for the 4CM with your GT8, are you? Only use speaker cables when going from the amp head to the speaker cab. Use instrument cables for the guitar and effects. I'd assume you'd know that, but just in case...
                well Joe I'll admit a mistake here b/c I did have one Monster speaker cable in the 4CM I was using, the rest were instrument cables. so would that cause any harm? is that what fucked me up?

and yeah, I use spkr cable for amp to cab. and I got all instrument cables for my new connections, 3 good Carvins and a George L for the guitar to GT-8.

I love learning, but I hate when it's a painful process
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

That probably was the problem there with the one speaker cable.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                  X