Any Landscapers Here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Landscapers Here?

It's time for a new lawn tractor, and I figure people skilled in landscaping and what not could help. This mower has to cut a combined amount of about two acres a week (as I cut our neighbors yard as well). Ours is about a half an acre, theres is 1.5. Spending almost 4 hours on our dinky MTD tractor and refilling it 2-3 times a week is getting old fast. Now that the stimulus check is here, we know what it's going towards. Problem is, I've read a million different things about what to get in a mower.

I need something that meets all the criteria:
    Comfortable for someone who's around 6' 1" (IE Me)
    Has plenty of power (20hp+)
    A large deck (46" at least, preferably over 48")
    High capacity fuel tank
    Can handle challenging inclines (around 15-18 degrees)
    Under $2000

What's the most reliable? Ours has been horrible after about the first year; belts breaking, horrible tires, front end mounts are all broken, burns oil, hard to start, and it ate up the original starter after 3 years. Right now, the Husvarna YTH and John Deere L125/145 series are the front runners. We've looked at Cub Cadet and Toro, but those are both made by MTD. Our friend's really like their Husqvarna, as it handles very well, has a lot of power, and is very stable on hills. Likewise, we know people who have had John Deere's for years without issue, hence why I've narrowed down to these two.

The Deere have the slight edge atm as they have a deck washout port and and don't need a blade change to mulch. Sear's mowers are another option too I guess, but they have the same pitfalls as the Husqvarna due to being made by the same company. What do you all use to cut grass?

Americans wont do landscaping havent you heard the speeches???

Id go with the John Deere. Buy american for once.

Comment

You're gonna have trouble finding a durable/reliable mower with the requirements you need for $2000. Don't think for a minute that the John Deeres, Husky's, or Club Cadets that you find at Home Depot or Lowes are the same machines you find at authorized dealers.

I use a Snapper ZTR with a 40" deck and it was almost $3400. It's going on it's 10th year and still running strong. It's powered by a 14 hp Diamond Series Briggs & Stratton. Remember, you get what ya pay for!
      "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
        You're gonna have trouble finding a durable/reliable mower with the requirements you need for $2000. Don't think for a minute that the John Deeres, Husky's, or Club Cadets that you find at Home Depot or Lowes are the same machines you find at authorized dealers.

I use a Snapper ZTR with a 40" deck and it was almost $3400. It's going on it's 10th year and still running strong. It's powered by a 14 hp Diamond Series Briggs & Stratton. Remember, you get what ya pay for!
        The issue with one of those big Zero Turns is it would actually be a downgrade in cutting ability. Ours is 42", 16 HP. You don't think something like a Husqvarna YTH 2454 (54" cut, 24HP Vtwin motor, 4 gallon tank) would do it?

Also, we pretty much only have big box stores out here. The one small store doesn't service what they sell, making it pointless to pay more, and the other place one time did a tune up on our MTD, and when we got it back, it wouldn't start

Comment

the main criteria should be if it has a beer holder!
          ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Originally posted by ABSOLUT CHARVEL View Post
            the main criteria should be if it has a beer holder!
            That's why god created the beer helmet.
            "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
            I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Working...
            X