Saw UFO last night...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw UFO last night...

Man, they're getting old, but it was still a rockin' show! No Schenker or Pete Way, but Vinnie Moore hit all of Mike's solos perfectly - he actually fits in - and adds a little something as well. Way couldn't get a visa, so they got another guy to thump for them on the US leg - too bad, but it's not like they need Jaco to hold down the low-end

Played most of the old-stuff (essentially all of Strangers in the Night), plus a couple from the new(er) CD Monkey Puzzle, as well as Long Gone off Wild Willing & Innocent...I was hoping for something off Mechanix just for kicks, but no dice...

Today's a little slow, needless to say...
    Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

awwww I was hoping to read about an alien space ship ..

Comment

He he, so Pete Way couldn't get a visa? The old "War on Terror" has a lot to answer for, all our lively, colourful rock stars can't get into your country now if they have arrests for rock-star type offences ie.drugs, alcohol, drunkenness, fighting, obscenity etc, all the entry requirements have been really tightened up. (Unless they are proper rock stars like Ozzy and Keef Richards, then they have no problems getting through Customs)

We, on the other hand, welcome anyone into our country, no matter what they have done, because we are stupid!

Doesn't Phil Mogg look and move like an old man????!!!!
      (Actually, he's not exactly an angel, so wonder how he got into the US hassle-free)
      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

I'm glad the show was cool, and I'm sure Vinnie did an amazing job. I'm sure I would've loved the show too!

But UFO IS and always will be Michael Schenker, Phil Moog and Pete Way..

Its just like Deep Purple without Blackmoore and Ian Gillan. Steve Morse is fuggin' great, but Blackmoore is DP..IMO!

I feel like that about alot of bands tho.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
          He he, so Pete Way couldn't get a visa? The old "War on Terror" has a lot to answer for, all our lively, colourful rock stars can't get into your country now if they have arrests for rock-star type offences ie.drugs, alcohol, drunkenness, fighting, obscenity etc, all the entry requirements have been really tightened up. (Unless they are proper rock stars like Ozzy and Keef Richards, then they have no problems getting through Customs)

We, on the other hand, welcome anyone into our country, no matter what they have done, because we are stupid!

Doesn't Phil Mogg look and move like an old man????!!!!
          (Actually, he's not exactly an angel, so wonder how he got into the US hassle-free)
          I think Pete was living here not-so-legally for a while, and everything blew up when his wife Joanna died. I think he got deported, and getting a visa after that is proving to be hard. If anyone else knows the whole story, please weigh-in!

I know Mogg had a hard time getting a visa the last time due to his, ahem, "unhealthy" lifestyle... but it looks like he has cleared up his problems...he really does look like Keith Richards Jr. up there!

As for Vinnie, this was my first time seeing him, and I was duly impressed. I also think of UFO as Schenker/Mogg/Way/Parker/Raymond, but we don't get a lot of decent bands in San Diego, so you gotta see them when they show! Crap - I even saw Symphony X twice last week (although it helped that their singer Russ set me up with backstage passes!)...wasn't as lucky for UFO...
          Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
            I'm glad the show was cool, and I'm sure Vinnie did an amazing job. I'm sure I would've loved the show too!

Its just like Deep Purple without Blackmoore and Ian Gillan. Steve Morse is fuggin' great, but Blackmoore is DP..IMO!

Vinnie can actually fit in with UFO though. Listen to stuff like his Meltdown album.

Steve Morse sounds TERRIBLE in Deep Purple - I saw them last fall. Sure he's a great guitar player but his playing didn't fit the band at all.

Come to think of it, Ian Gillan also sounds terrible these days in Deep Purple.

Comment

"Steve Morse sounds TERRIBLE in Deep Purple - I saw them last fall. Sure he's a great guitar player but his playing didn't fit the band at all."

I disagree.

"POOP"

Comment

This is so fun to watch IMO!!!..My man throwin' down with Mike and UFO!!!http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_mFjFvbkb0

Here's one with Vinnie!!!http://youtube.com/watch?v=iTUJpHv6T6E&feature=related
                Last edited by horns666; 05-02-2008, 08:09 AM.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post

I agree. Purple is too happy with Morse in the band. Their greatness came from Blackmore's talent and from the tension he created within the band. Not fun on a day to day basis but great creatively.

The same is probably true with UFO. Vinnie I am sure plays the stuff like Schenker ion steroids and gives respect and justice to the songs, but he is probably thrilled to be working with Mogg/Way/Parker and the writing process is probably too smooth "Sure Phil, whatever you want!".

Tension makes great music and so many great bands had a lot of infighting but the result was golden. Ed and Dave are the epitome of that, though they seem to be getting along today. I guess they'd come to realize how rare that kind of chemistry is.

Great for the tour if Ed stays sober - but will it make for good writing? They probably need to have a meltdown to write great music. Do they have the energy anymore, that's the question.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                    I agree. Purple is too happy with Morse in the band. Their greatness came from Blackmore's talent and from the tension he created within the band. Not fun on a day to day basis but great creatively.

The same is probably true with UFO. Vinnie I am sure plays the stuff like Schenker ion steroids and gives respect and justice to the songs, but he is probably thrilled to be working with Mogg/Way/Parker and the writing process is probably too smooth "Sure Phil, whatever you want!".

Tension makes great music and so many great bands had a lot of infighting but the result was golden. Ed and Dave are the epitome of that, though they seem to be getting along today. I guess they'd come to realize how rare that kind of chemistry is.

Great for the tour if Ed stays sober - but will it make for good writing? They probably need to have a meltdown to write great music. Do they have the energy anymore, that's the question.

I agree 1000%..I always thought inner tension made for good writing and agnst!! Rich, did you see that video when Blackmore threw that cup of water at Gillan. He was eyefuggin' him during the whole show..and he was on fire. I think that was the best RB performance I ever seen!!!

Besides those guys are a one unit..and created that stuff together!!!

Comment

the only DP I would care to see is the Burn line-up
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I guess if you look at how Ian and David have aged vocally, I would agree. David sounds way better than Ian these days.

Comment

Bummer. I thought the title of this thread was, "Saw A UFO last night", and immediately thought, I hope he had a camera ready.
                          Scott
                          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I was at the UFO show in Chicago! it is the second time I see UFO with Vinnie and I gotta tell you being a hardcore Schenker fan UFO/MSG/Scorpions the show this time around SUCKED!!!
                            They didn't even play Lights out the only played 1Hr 15 min show!!!
                            then Phil was having all kinds of senior moments and missing his cue
                            and for those who think Vinnie is good in UFO I gotta tell you I'm begining to hate his performance! these days he is adding too much of his own thing to Schenker's solos which I think blows big time!!! UFO played a 10 minute version of Rock bottom which vinnie butchered into I don't know what freaking tune in the end he was playing an instrumental that had nothing to do with Rock bottom! lamest UFO show I've seen so far!!!!
                            Last edited by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S; 05-02-2008, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Cool...I love Vinnie's playing. I was fortunate enough to open for Vinnie and Doppler in the 90s when I lived in the Bay area...No pressure lol! He is still one of my favorite players, glad to hear he still rocks. Too bad Schenker has become such a lush and is not hitting it.
                              www.JerryRobison.com
                              '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Working...
                              X