No announcement yet.

Bands that have jumped the shark the worst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have a problem with bands changing or evolving.

However, if your name is Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, etc. you better freakin live up to that name! Megadeth stopped writing good, innovative songs.

Comment

hahahaha, but if slayer WANTED to do an album of joni mitchell-styled acoustic songs with the vienna boys-choir, who are we to tell them no? should they change their name for THAT album?
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

They can do what they want and I would poke fun at them.

Now if they played flying V or Warlock acoustics, that might be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Venomboy View Post
          Now if they played flying V or Warlock acoustics, that might be cool.
          hahahahaha, see, if they played V or warlock acoustics, then i'd laugh at them!!! maybe even throw a tomato or two....especially at that bald-headed, tattooed guy who always tries to look mean and tough. then the vienna boys choir could laugh at him in soprano voices!! THAT would make an AWESOME live video!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
            I would agree with this too. But it would be interesting to see how much money they made in the 70's vs. how much money they've made since their comeback. I'm sure the "new" Aerosmith makes much more bank than the "classic" Aerosmith. Not saying that's the test for good or not.

But there is something rather dangerous about the 70's Aerosmith. And something quite tame about the "new" Aerosmith.
            +1 on that, there was no cooler band in the late 70s - Aerosmith was the real thing back then. Rocks is still the greatest hard rock album ever, but they definitely jumped around Permanent Vacation.

Comment

Well being as old as I am, I woukd say Fleetwood Mac. It's not a bad thimg what they did. But it sure as hell not what I heard in the "70's:ROTF:
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                Well being as old as I am, I woukd say Fleetwood Mac. It's not a bad thimg what they did. But it sure as hell not what I heard in the "70's:ROTF:
                Funny stuff, in a way.
                I listened to FM before it became all AOR (It was "Progressive" in the early seventies).
                I was familiar with Peter Green, Mick Fleetwood, and Bob Welch, and hated it when Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks ruined the band I once knew.
                But now, I like Rumours, a lot. Maybe because what came after was so bad, but as an album, it holds up.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                  Absolutely,
                  But really, how could anyone follow up "Surfing", without a singer?

Comment

I totally agree with Mark, us - the fans can be the biggest assholes and we think we know what the artists MUST do... freedom is what makes music great.... lack of creativity and repeating the same shit all over again is not great
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

• Originally posted by Venomboy View Post
                      I don't have a problem with bands changing or evolving.
                      Me either and people need there is a difference between evolving/changing and selling out by writing stuff thats clearly designed to fit the standard radio formatted BS. When you're a band who's early stuff is as good as someone like Aerosmith or Metallica and all of a sudden your cranking out generic bullshit over and over that sucks. Especially with Metallica when they were so against bands that did that. The Beatles evolved, Zeppelin evolved Rush evolved even though I prefer the older stuff.
                      http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

• Can we throw Elton John & Stevie Wonder in with Aerosmith. I like early material from all three. But then they started doing movie soundtracks....
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

• Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post
                          I loved Metallica but they flat out sold out. They had every right to but they made the big stink back in the day that they never would. I knew it was all over when they put out the Video for ONE. They let them cut the living hell out of the song while at the same time Guns & Roses was putting out 11 minute video's.
                          NOPE, "One came out in 1988 and the "11 minutes GNR" video's would appear FIVE YEARS LATER. In 1988 GNR was still a relatively small band with a record that had just put them on the map.

Get your facts right.

Speaking of Guns N Roses in their early days...
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi7nUotQjB4

Comment

• Originally posted by Blazer View Post
                            Well we all have argued about this before in numerous threads but let's get one thread going where we (Hopefully) all agree on Bands who jumped the shark the worst of all.

I'll start with with perhaps the best example of all.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xhYk9PEmXA
                            Jefferson Airplane "White rabbit" at the Woodstock performance.

Jefferson Airplane used to be one of the premier psych-rock bands of the late sixties, their albums being loaded with dark, moody songs. And Grace Slick crowning herself as the unnoficial Queen of the Hippie movement.

But then the seventies arrived, the line up changed and so did the name, the Airplane went to greater heights and became Jefferson Starship in this incarnation the band went to have enormous succes. Jefferson Starship became a stadium act and their music AOR.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PwG69620WA
                            Jefferson Starship "Jane"

But the worst was still to come. In the eighties Jefferson Starship apparently kicked Jefferson out and went on as Starship and their old hippie audience probably was white in shock when their sound changed along with that name. Starship ebraced the old hippie nemesis; the corporate rock industry and none was it more evident on what apparently was their greatest hit which even featured dee-jay talk.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxGGckAc1rs
                            Starship "We built this city"

People talk about bands like Genesis and Kiss selling out but let's face it none of them sold out so hugely as Starship.

Wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                              The worst? The Beatles. The White album was a creative masterpiece, and a travesty all in its own. Call it what you want, but Lennon killed the Beatles.
                              I disagree completely and so do most Beatles fans that I know. That's not to say that there aren't a bunch of people who agree with your point of view but I think Paul McCartney is crap compared to Lennon...AND compared to Harrison. Ringo? Tie.
                              My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blazer View Post
                                NOPE, "One came out in 1988 and the "11 minutes GNR" video's would appear FIVE YEARS LATER. In 1988 GNR was still a relatively small band with a record that had just put them on the map.
                                Yep...AFD was released in Summer of 1987.

I also don't buy the Metllica sold out thing...the Black Album has good riffs and solid songwriting. Is was much different than their previous records but they did as much as they could do like that...if a band does the same thing forever they are AC/DC. Just because the Black Album had a polished sound doesn't make it bad. Load and Re-Load were the 'loads' of crap.
                                My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

Working...
                                X