Suzuki's and AC Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki's and AC Units

Well this is a fun one involving our 2002 Suzuki SL-7. Roughly 2 weeks ago, we noticed the AC making an odd noise while we were sitting with the windows and had it on at a stop. Of course once we got onto the highway we couldn't hear it so we turned it off. No biggie right? Well we don't use the AC often, as everyone at my house is the type who enjoys putting the windows down. Fast-forward to last Friday, dad and I were heading down to Maryland to pickup some driftwood from nearby the dam he works at. Since we've been out in the sun all day, AC sounds nice. Turn it on, and it is making this squealing noise. So we drive along, the air is working and we keep hearing this noise. Finally the noise of a belt breaking and the smell of burning graces us after about 10 minutes, with no air and no power steering.

Thank god Suzuki puts their AC and power steering on a separate belt as their alternator, water pump, and other important things. On the way home we pickup another belt to have our mechanic put on Tuesday. Tuesday comes and he puts it on and its still squealing. Why? The compressor has seized up and has stopped working. Now here comes the important part of this. We bought this car 5 years ago, on May 11th, 2002. And bought a 5 year 75,000 mile warranty on it (which ironically not even a year later is bumped about to 7 years 100,000 miles). So we call the dealer to see abotu service and they won't honor the warranty, which does not say one way or another that its to the exact date or 60 months from the month of purchase (though our information is worded more towards the latter). Now normally, if the bill wasn't $1,500 w/ labor, we wouldn't complain.

So the dealer says there is nothing we can do other then call Suzuki's warranty department and see if we can work something out. They claim its from the day of purchase, rather then month of purchase, and aren't willing to work out any sort of deal. I guess Suzuki doesn't stand behind their product like they want people to think. The icing on the cake is we call the dealer back and the parts for the compressor are on back order I guess the moral of the story is if you hear a noise fix it rather have it turn into a mess.
Working...
X