Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get over a crappy show?? LONG post..sorry.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It happens to everyone Jeri, and having to stop for the bass player to change his string is what will stick out in the audience's mind. The loss of momentum that caused led to everything else. A musical performance is a fragile thing. Something happens to dampen your confidence and it's hard to get back in stride. It's not ALL the bassist's fault but he DID kill the momentum. He needs a backup bass; hell, he can get a Rogue from MF for $99. Basically a POS but you can plug it in and play. Print out this thread and let him read it, unless you think he'd puss out and quit or something. If that's the case then find a new bass player with TWO basses, THEN let the old bass player read this thread.

Try not to get into a big fight at the next rehearsal though, give and take constructive criticism and realize y'all all had weak moments, but that it probably went better than you think from the audience's perspective. Each gig mishap is a learning experience and y'all will be even better after each one.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
      Jeri, send me your address and I'll send you a set of bass strings to give your bass player for Christmas.
      Nice!
      Matter of fact, I have an extra bass I'll send you if you want it. It's not pretty but it plays good.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

When you make a mistake, look disgustingly at the drummer/bassist/other guitarist as if to say "what the fuck are you doing - are you a goddam beginner? get your shit together". But never do it to the singer - you'll pay for that.

Indeed, I learned this from reading an interview with Ritchie Blackmore, my childhood idol, about 30 years ago. If it works for a legend, it'll work for us too!
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
          Shit happens. Remember that unless you stop playing during the song, it's pretty likely that nobody in the crowd is going to notice your screwups UNLESS they really follow your band - and if they do, it's likely they aren't going to quit enjoying your music just because some parts got goofed. Makes you look human and stuff.

Pete
          Well I think this is the best post in this thread, I agree completely...

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
          Throw a shit fit & blame it all on the bass player! Do a huge rant about having backup axes ready to go... :ROTF: :ROTF:
          Ron attitude

One more thing I can add. Try to be really relaxed about everypart your playing. there will sure be something to make your concentration go down. If you have full control over everything you're playing you won't mess up too bad unless there's a really serious problem...

In my country people say "you should first screw up one show, to play a killer show" So now it's that killer show's turn so go for it
          Check my bands!
          www.myspace.com/magicktr
          www.myspace.com/sinif64
          www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

The first time it happened to me I was opening for Twisted Sister and my bass player who was singing We Become One screwed up bad because he was too high on speed/coke. We were a power trio so we really needed to be on our game all the time. I got so pissed that I punched him out on stage. He fell back into his bass stack and some of it fell over. We fought for a little while and then went back to playing. It didn't screw up anything. Scott Ian was in the crowd so maybe we had something to do with inventing a mosh pit or something.
            Bottom line... don't sweat it. Your toughest critic is YOU.

Comment

jeri, your biggest problem with the soloing thing is lack of whammy bar.

when ever you hit a bad note you are supposed to reach for the whammy bar and slam it down and then let it up ever so slowly while shaking your head in anger that the guitar has failed you. whammy bars are there to discipline your guitar. you have no whammy, therefore your guitar thinks it can do whatever it wants. it is mocking you with bad notes. it's time to get a router and put it in it's place.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

i suppose you could invite jgcable over to beat up your guitar the next time that happens.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

On our first show some kids opened up for us! And they're pretty good!! After the show was over they had to have a band meeting at their practice spot! Then they almost broke up! We felt bad, cuz later we found out it was because of us they had a band meeting etc... We thought it was stupid to fight cuz another band kicked more ass that night! Ya know there is too many turning a show into a competition!! People forget it's all about fun!! They should stick to sports!
                  I love admins!

Comment

Don't feel bad Jeri, it happens to all of us.
                    Hell I screwed up the intro to Run-a-round Sue in front of a full house... who the hell can screw that up... ding ding ding... that would be me.
                    I just laughed my ass off and moved on. Nailed the rest of tunes that night just fine.
                    I hate that song btw, but my (former) singer loved it and insisted we cover it... rocked out of course. Hmmmm... maybe that's why I fucked it up. I hated our singer. Arrogant S.O.B.
                    -Rick

Comment

I know I am my own worst critic by far.. I am sometimes needlessly hard on myself.

You can practice it a 100 times perfect at home and not blow it, but you get into a live situation, you might get that variable which triggers the 1% human error zone we all are capable of. It takes some focus and composure.

You will notice your mistake more than anyone else..being pissed or rattled draws attention to it. I've been in uncomfortable spots before, you just try to keep your composistion about you and hopefully not lose the rest of the band on timing.
                      If anything, turn down the vol by hand or hold a root note with some feedback and come back in where you find you should be.
                      Being its originals, you'd literally have to have a loyal following who knows your material and are paying attention.

A singer I used to work with had a good way of compensating for forgotten lyrics or a spot where he would lose it vocally.. he'd act like the cord is shorted and look out at the road crew while creating some antic that signaled a supposed short.
                      Last edited by charvelguy; 11-28-2006, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Its ok, it is natural to screw up. What is really nerve racking is when you are on stage alone. I remember playing a piano recital, and I was doing a really hard J.S. Bach song. Right in the middle where it got really intense I just blanked out. I had to restart the whole middle section over until I got it right.

Comment

Sis, one word..

Xannax..

Trust me..
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                            Don't feel bad Jeri, it happens to all of us.
                            HEY HEY HEY! Speak for yourself
                            Henrik
                            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

If your not making mistakes your not pushing yourself as a player. Nobody is perfect, the goal is to keep getting better. there are passages in some of my songs that I can only nail dead on maybe 60% of the time. Fortunately they are so fucking fast that nobody notices as long as I stay in time. As for onstage fuck ups, I did the ultimate. Once in Eugene Oregon I was sick, drunk nd fed up and I actually QUIT THE BAND onstage!! I started tearing my gear down and the crowd to cheering my name, so I played it off like it was a joke and finished the set! You think YOU fucked up onstage!! )

Comment

jeri, your biggest problem with the soloing thing is lack of whammy bar.

when ever you hit a bad note you are supposed to reach for the whammy bar and slam it down and then let it up ever so slowly while shaking your head in anger that the guitar has failed you. whammy bars are there to discipline your guitar. you have no whammy, therefore your guitar thinks it can do whatever it wants. it is mocking you with bad notes. it's time to get a router and put it in it's place.

Thats EXACTLY what a whammy bar is for.
                                Every time my guitar acts up I remove one of the neck bolts. I figure it should screw up 4 times or less.

Comment

Working...
                                X