California Motorcycle guys in here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Motorcycle guys in here

I need your help here. I recently tried to sell my 2000 Yamaha Vmax on ebay. It has about 3,400 miles on it. It went unsold, but the high bidder, in California, has expressed interest.

The problem is 2 fold.

1- He says the Yamaha dealer told him, that if he buys a bike from out of state, it HAS to have OVER 7,500 miles on it. I have never heard something like this. Is this valid, or the dealer yanking his chain?

2-He is worried that the bike won't pass California emissions since I bought it here on the east coast. The same dealer told him that if the bike, which is mechanically stock, wasn't built to California spec, it would be very costly to have it converted.

The bike is a 2000 model. How strict is the DMV out there for crying out loud? I have gotten drag pipes through inspection here for Christ's sake.:ROTF:
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Scott:

I have no experience in this area, so my opinion is worthless, but that sounds like complete bullshit.

Have you tried CarSoup? Do they have that in Jersey?

Good luck with the sale.

- Eric
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

I think the dealer may be trying to sell him a bike, Eric.

Where the hell is Ron when ya need him? :ROTF: If anyone would know for sure, I think it'd be him.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
        I think the dealer may be trying to sell him a bike, Eric.

Where the hell is Ron when ya need him? :ROTF: If anyone would know for sure, I think it'd be him.
        I definitely agree that the dealer is trying to con the guy.

Come on, someone from CA must have bought a used bike at some point. Speak up, guys!

- E.
        Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

My understanding is that any vehichle brought into CA with less than 7500 miles is treated as a NEW vehicle and will be taxed as such. If you are willing to pay the tax, you're OK.

It's not real clear, but read this: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffvr29.htm

You may want to check out the rest of the site and contact them with any questions. They actually get back to you almost immediately if you send an e-mail inquiry.

Motorcycles are not subject to smog inspections.
          http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2535
          Last edited by jeff300; 10-17-2006, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Jeff beat me with the link. Your buyer is correct, Scott. While there is no smog test for bikes, the DMV page states they won't accept a vehicle under 7500 miles. That is because all the other bikes have less restrictive smog controls on 'em. They're called 49-state bikes.
            Last edited by RacerX; 10-17-2006, 03:29 AM.
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thank you Jeff, Ron and Eric. Ok, so I have to check the label on the bike, but I would guess that it is a "49 State" bike, being originally purchased in NJ.

As far as the 7,500 miles thing goes, can't you get around that by fudging the registration application? Or do they want to see the vehicle?
              Scott

Comment

Looks like it is a "no-go". The tag only says that it meets federal standards. I called my local Yam dealer, and he told me that mine is a "49 state" bike and the dude in California would not be able to register it.

Looks like I am shit outta luck with this buyer. :ROTF:
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                  I called my local Yam dealer, and he told me that mine is a "49 state" bike and the dude in California would not be able to register it.
                  And at that moment you realized "Damn, that Ron dude is right, AGAIN!"
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                  X