Ever been in this situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever been in this situation?

I've been finding myself listening to less and less "guitar music' lately. In fact it's never more than two "guitar songs" a day lately.

I'm getting more and more into the entire clubbing scene and my love/indulgence in techno and elektro. I am soooooooo bored with the regular rock/metal stuff. The classics get their regular spin, but other than that it's all been done before. I mean, there's litterally nothing new out there that can excite me, nothing that holds a candle to some of the old classics. So it's all become a dull, boring, gray mass.

With techno and the more electronic kinds of music there are less boundaries, more experimenting and more open-minded people.

I'll never forsake the guitar though, but I don't see myself writing any normal stuff anymore in the future, it's all gonna be some kind of hybrid techno / avant-garde guitar experimental stuff.
    Last edited by GodOfRhythm; 10-06-2006, 06:24 PM.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Fortunately, no!
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I like a lot of stuff out there including techno. I really enjoy listening to Dj Shadow, he is a amazing musician. He's a mix of all electronic styles and does a amazing job.

Comment

Comment

God,
          you're just being gravitatingly pulled towards some hot box out there. Don't worry about it, it's quite alright.
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

What in the hell is wrong with you?!
            Last edited by MikeStrat; 10-06-2006, 06:54 PM.
            "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
            I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

The current rock seen is boring, but I will never listen to techno.

Comment

Ive been getting into a lot of electronic-oriented rock lately, like newer Radiohead and Appleseed Cast, Mars Volta, etc. Not really the same but I see where you are coming from.

Comment

I like how System of a Down updated Zappa. Granted, they're everybody's flavor of the decade, but I would call it new. By definition, melding a few styles together is new.

This is always why I gravitated to the punk/hard core scene even though I loved heavy metal. What became of punk after it died in 1982 (Clash break-up) was some pretty interesting stuff. What do you get when you match hardcore and great licks with fiddles, klezmer music, polka, cowboy hoedowns, etc. There's always something new out there.

Listen to these guys. http://www.jerseyband.com/
                  Make your own judgements as to whether they're good or not. Regardless, they are playing some stuff that sounds new. I've seen them live a number of times.
                  Last edited by danastas; 10-06-2006, 07:17 PM.

Comment

my listening is cyclical. I often go through periods where I'm just over the metal that I usually listen to. Sometimes it's just a matter of putting the superheavy stuff away for a while and breaking out some old school metal or some melodic hard rock instead. Sometimes it's something non-metal, like Govt Mule, Jamiroquai, Los Lonely Boys, Fishbone. And it's just as likely to be something with no guitar whatsoever, like Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Wynton Marsalis, etc.

I've never gotten into techno, trance or any of the electronic dance stuff, although I do listen other genres that dabble in those styles. Living Colour have always messed around with samples & triggers, and Doug Wimbish & Will Calhoun's Jungle Funk project used a lot of those devices too.

I don't know about people in the techno scene being more open-minded -
                    I know plenty of "doov doov" fans who aren't interested in listening to anything that hasn't been put out in the last 6 months by the latest hot dj out of Germany. That scene can be as insular as any other.
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

no dance or techno but I do go through spurts of only listening to classical, violin and cello stuff. It still always inspires me.
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

I've been there man. I went through a three week stretch where I didn't turn on the stereo in my car or the music player on my PC even once. And I didnt play the guitar either. On the fourth week my wife and I went to Borders books and she got the latest Christina Aguilera CD, which of course we had to play on the 20 minute ride home... "oh great" I thought.

To my surprise I actually liked the CD, her voice is phenominal. Mind that I dont keep the CD in my car and play it every day, but there are a few songs I'll put on occasionally.

A week later my new (to me) Jackson arrived. I didnt listen to any music at all that day until I got home from work. I sat in the dark, no lights on but the amp, no other sound, and I just played. I tell you that was the best playing I've done in a while. And I can tell I was definitely influenced by the CD my wife had bought, in a good way.

Now Im back to my usual music, picked up a few new CD's and im getting something out of playing every day now.

The point, I suppose, is that sometimes its good to deliberately break the routine, and listen to something "new" (to you) like techno or Jazz or Blues. I think branching out encourages creativity.

Later,

Steve
                        Guitars:
                        '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                        '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                        '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                        Amp:
                        VOX AD30VT

Comment

C'mon, GOR, you just want to do Ecstacy and bone club chicks, admit it! Open minded? It's the disco scene of the 2000s, no more or no less. Drugs, drone and pussy. That's okay, just don't try to read more into it than what's there. Just watch out with the X, you can literally fry your brain doing that shit!
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                            Fortunately, no!

Comment

"Ever been in this situation?"

Can't say that I have.
                              Oh, I get alittle burned out at times and frustrated and disappointed with the whole rock/metal scene. Rock music and playing guitar is in my blood, its something I love, really enjoy. Yeah, theres been times when I didn't play much, months at a time. I return with a fresh attitude. The guitar is like an old friend to me, you know really well and never seem to forget and glad you haven't. Once I strap it on and plug it in, it doesn't take long to find myself again. Its like home and family to me. Hope that doesn't sound to wierd.

I still love kicking it up old school with the pentatonic.

Lets see, VH, lynch, srv, jp, im, msg, tallica, hendrix, santana, blackmore, beatles and countless others, all pentatonic users. The distinction was phrasing, each sounded different because each phrased and used speed differently. Same pentatonic position, just played differently. The beauty of it is, each made millions playing that old pentatonic everybody loves to hate. How can something so boring be soooooooooooo much fun.
                              Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Working...
                              X