Home theatre in a box - opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
    That's why you have to check out the stores return policy.
    If it sucks ass when you get it home... take it back and try another.

Yup, that's my plan!
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised. As I was hooking mine up 2 years ago, I was thinking it would just sound ok because I knew she didn't break the bank. (and that was fine, the thought counts most anyway)

I was real surprised to find that it is really nice. I watched Saving Private Ryan and it felt like Normandy Beach in my living room. Shots and explosions all around.

The only way I think you will be disappointed, is if you are a true adiophile, like Wulfe, who is used to listening to high end audio gear. The casual movie watcher will get the same affect as if he were in the theater.

[edit] Oh, and mine is 650 watts total and plenty loud enough to shake the windows. I am sure 1000 watts will fill your need for volume.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Hell I'm still using my Sony reciever/amp from like 15 years ago... before digital surround.
        It's rated at 500 watts. I have it running through 5 Yamaha skinny things with a sub woofer. It's OK. I miss my old speaker cabinets. Huge cabs with 15" main, 8" mid and a 3" tweeter. Ported to perfection and would shake the walls. They sound way better than these little skinny things, but my new entertainment center made it impossible to keep the big boys.
        -Rick

Comment

Holy Baby Jesus eatin' a Pudding Pop!!!
          That is crazy!!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

My old Pioneer reciever is awesome too. It's 16 years old, but still looks brand new, and still works perfectly. 800 watts output, but no yeah, no digital surround.

Comment

Well, I got the Yamaha system. It was a toss up in the end between that and the Pioneer. The Yamaha was $100 cheaper.

It sounds great, but I plan on replacing the micro speakers very soon. They sound okay, but I know a set of good speakers will make all the difference.

Comment

I have one the first cd player systems made..a 1983 Fisher in my small music room..this thing is 120 watts and it rocks..I love it!!

I got a surround/ dolby system in my living room..but we never use it..we're never down there..I listen to my music thru it..

we are upstairs..I got a 56" big screen up there..which works out fine..because my bed is 25 ft away and I'm blind as a bat..works for me..
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I run my video games and movies through a 1999 Sony LBT-G5500 "looks like a stack of racks" stereo. Cost $450 new from Wal-Mart in '99.
                  It's got wood speakers. Pressed wood, but they sound way better than the AIWA system I bought for my brother with the plastic speakers. The same disc played on his sounds like it's coming from a plastic box. From mine, it sounds like it's coming through wood.

Movies rock through it. It's got a Surround function that actually sounds like things are behind you, even though there's only 2 3-way speakers, and they're not more than 4 feet apart.

That THX logo sound you always get at the beginning of a Lucasfilm movie sounds phenomenal.

My ultimate system (the one I'll have Pete build if I win the lottery ) will be an all-tube power amp running through P.A.-quality cabinets.

Imagine 5 (or 6) separate tube power amps, with 100W for the Highs, 500W for the Mids, and 1000W for the Bass freqs, all going through a programmable Crossover that allows you to select the exact freqs, to 6 cabinets that are frequency-specific.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                  X