Old cars and the pollution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old cars and the pollution

I was driving behind a '70's VW and I thought I was going to die. The car wasn't smoking or anything. It just smelled awful. I have to give two thumbs up for the pollution controls that have been around for decades .
    I am a true ass set to this board.

What did it reek of? Pollution controls only work if a vehicle is properly maintained. There is no reason why a vehicle of any vintage should smell if it is in proper working order.

Comment

Just get behind any 70 or earlier car or truck and you will know what I mean. VW's are really smelly but other older cars are just about as bad.

Comment

they weren't designed to run on todays fuel.

Comment

They don't have to have any emotions controls prior to 72. Hopefully they at least change the value seats so they don't need the lead additive in their gas. The more of those old cars die the better the air we'll have.

Comment

I know of a few people in smog-testing states with old muscle cars and such that actually show lower emissions than some newer cars. If a car is properly tuned it should run fairly clean. Old shitboxes that haven't been maintained are another matter all together. My old Pontiac would probably fall into the latter category. LOL
            |My CSG gallery|
            (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
              They don't have to have any emotions controls prior to 72. Hopefully they at least change the value seats so they don't need the lead additive in their gas. The more of those old cars die the better the air we'll have.
              The controls actually started around 1966 in Calif.

Comment

My second car was a 68 Le Sabre and I drove a 72 beatle for a time. Properly tuned and maintained cars shouldnt smell. Let them go and they are a total nuisance and yes are very smelly.

Comment

You guys are too young to know what I am talking about. No offense. A well tuned 70's car still has a distinct hydocarbon smell in the exhaust. They may pass smog checks, but so do cars that burn oil.

Comment

Time to adjust the valves, solid lifters. Took small engine repair in high school in the 70's, had to adjust the valves all the time on these beetles.

Comment

I think the smell from my 69 Nova on 110 octane is great

Comment

Personally I love that hydrocarbon smell from old muscle cars...that terrible sulfur smell that comes from some poorly tuned cars is something different, but I hope this thread isn't bashing that sweet smell of muscle cars.

Cheers,
                        Nick

Comment

Just as long as I am in front of them they are way cool. :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by FATKAT View Post
                            I think the smell from my 69 Nova on 110 octane is great

My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Misanthrope189 View Post
                              Personally I love that hydrocarbon smell from old muscle cars...that terrible sulfur smell that comes from some poorly tuned cars is something different, but I hope this thread isn't bashing that sweet smell of muscle cars.

Cheers,
                              Nick
                              Yes sir Nick, and I'll tell ya something else...in order to reduce hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide, they decided to use catalytic converters......which actually convert the emmissions (hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide) into a much more toxic substance....sulfuric dioxide. It's more deadly to humans, but it will save the ozone layer!!
                              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X