Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hand Cramps from playing guitar... any tips/recommends to fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Cramps from playing guitar... any tips/recommends to fix?

First things first. Im a tradesman and my hands get a workout all day. But lately whenever I sit down and play my guitar, it doesnt take long to get major cramps. Im not sure if its my thin Ibanez Prestige neck, or maybe I need a better warmup regimen.

Anyone else have this issue and know any good ways to make it a little more livable?!?

I sometimes have the same problem. Usually some hand stretches and a few advil will do what I need. Some times I have to soak my hands in warm water for about 10 minutes before I play to loosen things up. I went to the doc and they told me I have arthritus in both hands. Not common for someone my age, by definitely more probable since I work with my hands all day, every day.

Yeah, so that might be your problem, especially since you work with your hands a lot. Its not the end of the world, you just have to take better care to rest your hands more often if you can.

But Im no doctor. Give the stretching and advil trick a try and see if that works. Advil is an anti-inflamitory, so that "should" work. If not at all, or not to your satisfaction, then go to a doc.
    Guitars:
    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
    Amp:
    VOX AD30VT

Comment

I think I made a thread like this a while back, try looking back or searching or something...basically I was having this problem too, especially when playing bass but I raised my guitar up so it sits higher and did a more regimented warmup and the problem was solved....it could be lots of things though really.

Comment

Yeah...cut your hand off.
        Problem solved forever.
        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I'm used to playing a short-scale and when I try to play my Ibanez my wrist/hand cramps up in a hurry... strangely I can play my Charvel, which is the same scale (AFAIK) as the IB just fine. I think it's the neck shape.
          |My CSG gallery|
          (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Well, Im WORRIED its the neck shape. I NEVER had any issues on my old Wolfgang. However back then I also wasnt working like I am now.

I really like the Ibanez and said that once I found a decent guitar, I was gonna stick with it and stop flipping them like crazy. I really want to keep it, but it deft is a "thin" flat neck that isnt comfy like the Wolfgang... I like it's width though........

Mebbe swap it with a Wizard 2 neck... *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by gemini8026 View Post
              Well, Im WORRIED its the neck shape. I NEVER had any issues on my old Wolfgang. However back then I also wasnt working like I am now.

I really like the Ibanez and said that once I found a decent guitar, I was gonna stick with it and stop flipping them like crazy. I really want to keep it, but it deft is a "thin" flat neck that isnt comfy like the Wolfgang... I like it's width though........

Mebbe swap it with a Wizard 2 neck... *shrug*
              First things first. Im a tradesman and my hands get a workout all day. But lately whenever I sit down and play my guitar, it doesnt take long to get major cramps. Im not sure if its my thin Ibanez Prestige neck, or maybe I need a better warmup regimen.

Anyone else have this issue and know any good ways to make it a little more livable?!?

I have the same problem when playing on my RG. But when I move to my RR3 that has a thicker neck the problem disappears. or possibly you are using to much pressure to push the strings down and because of the thin neck theres nothing for your hand to actually squeeze on. ive noticed that happens to me too but i cant describe it any better

Comment

I had a car accident about 5 years age that sent my left hand thru the plastic of the dashboard. Asshole was reaching for his cell phone and didn't see me making a left.

After I got back into playing guitar I had, and still have to modify my technique to a more classical technique. Perhaps if you go back to a teacher, they can help you out?
                Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I also get hand cramps when playing my RG.. it has a wizard II neck which is thinner/flatter than the neck on my fenders I usually play on. So it could be the guitar...
                  "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Same here... when I switch from my PC1 to my RG, my hands cramp up pretty quick.
                    -Rick

Comment

:|

Gosh, too many answers I DONT want to hear :@

I love the Ibanez, but it seems I may need to get that SL2Ht ive been lusting for :s

Comment

You know, now that I think about it.... I havent had any cramps since i left the ol' RG up on the wall.. Hmm ... interesting..
                        Guitars:
                        '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                        '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                        '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                        Amp:
                        VOX AD30VT

Comment

i get occasional pain (i wouldn't describe it as cramp as it feels like growing pain) in my hands but most of the discomfort tends to be in my left shoulder whilst playing. i've had this since changing from a DXMG to a WRMG.
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

A wider neck or thicker profile. I haave the same issue with the 1 5/8" nut on my BC...

Comment

Well.... Therein lies the trouble.

I do have larger stubbier fingers. I NEED the wide neck. Playing my old Wolfgang versus my Ibanez makes a big difference, like on a Basic A major chord. The Wolf profile/feel is EASILY my favourite neck style, but they just werent wide enough for my canoe paddles ......

Just when I figured id stop bitching about these small things, they come back to haunt me. My apologies, but I think it's time to get a damn JAckson again

Comment

Working...
                              X