How Do You Take A Vacation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
    You know the Corona commercial, where they keep walking down the beach until the cell phone gets no signal? Thats vacation to me...

I prefer the one where he skips it across the water like stone.
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Bengal65, do yourself a favour, pack your rucksack, grab your passport and a credit card and some cash, and go to your nearest international airport. Then get on a plane, to the first destination that takes your fancy.......

I have just come back from a couple of weeks in Crete, my second holiday in 15 years. Up till now, there's always something to do, some piece of work I need to sort out, some excuse for not going. This year I was fast approaching meltdown, so did what I advised above.
      I dossed down on campsite floors, I got a lightweight hammock, I rented the odd room, I slept on the beach. I rented a motorbike, I walked, I read, I lay on the beach. The weather was beautiful, the sea was warm, there were no creepy-crawlies, there were very few other tourists about. Other than dealing with shop-keepers and waiters etc, I only held conversations with about 3 people. It was pure heaven! My mobile phone stayed in the bag for emergencies (and remained unused). I didn't lose my temper once, I got 14 full nights of sleep. (OK, I didn't get laid, but nothing's perfect is it?)

On getting back home, the sky hadn't fallen in, the business hadn't collapsed, no bastard had really missed me!!
      It has made me realise that life is too short to be putting things off, too short to be getting stressed out all the time, that all the things that I think matter actually do not mean too much. From now on I'm taking regular holidays, I want to be around for many years to come, so it's time to re-examine my priorities!
      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Thanks for the great responses Definitely got me thinking and I just have to do it!
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Actually a trip up to Jackson Hole Wyoming this time of year is great, not the best time for rafting, snow melt is all gone, but a nice chill in the air, You might be able to catch the Aspens changing in Colorado in a couple weeks. Yellowstone, Cody (Buffalo Bill Museum), all cool stops, Gas is cheaper now, go for it, best thing on a vacation is try not to schedule a bunch of things to do, better to take it as it comes.
          I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

My last real vacation was to Georgia in 2001. I'm like Matt, most are spent at home doing the things I normally dont have time to do. Next week me the wife and kid are doing a 5 day trip to Albaquerque and Santa Fe, and will also go to the Balloon Fiesta while we are out there. I like to travel but I am just as content doing what ever the hell I want to do right at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason1212 View Post
              My last real vacation was to Georgia in 2001. I'm like Matt, most are spent at home doing the things I normally dont have time to do. Next week me the wife and kid are doing a 5 day trip to Albaquerque and Santa Fe, and will also go to the Balloon Fiesta while we are out there. I like to travel but I am just as content doing what ever the hell I want to do right at home.
              Sounds like a good plan! I'm a homebody myself. I just like playing the guitars, messing with my old cars, motorcycles and now R/C trucks, but sometimes you just need to get out of the city and change your daily routine a bit. I decided to take a short 4 day trip to Nashville, TN and Bowling Green KY (Corvette Museum) this weekend to blow off some steam. I may have to start a new job 2 weeks later after I get back. Crud! I'd like to take a 4 week vacation and go somewhere! 4 weeks would be neat!
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
              X