Proper etiquette for joining a band?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper etiquette for joining a band?

Well, I've been playing for about five years and have finally been asked to join a band. I sold an amp to a fellow here locally and he's starting up a band that's "nothing serious" and just going to jam on a few covers and possibly play a few of the local bars.

Needless to say, I'm very apprehensive about "auditioning" I don't know ANY of the other band members and my interaction with the "other/lead" guitar player has been two 10min coversations and the exchange of $'s for my amp What is the proper etiquette for joining a band? Since it's my "first" band would it be expected that I can just go in and "jam" to any random song? 'Cause I can't . I'll gladly learn any songs that everyone is wanting to play but I know zero theory and usually just play along to guitarpro tracks.

How should I approach this?

thanks!!

Go right in there ..drop your pants and say ..BLOW ME!!

You will own that band and they will be your bitch!!

Just my advice..take it or leave it.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I vote leave it
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

just find out what songs they want you to learn and learn them. make sure you know what part you are to learn in each song. rhthym, lead, that middle part, etc.

just go in and be friendly and nail the agreed songs. that usually does it. as long as you can play along to the cd all the way through, you should do fine. just practice those songs until you know your part cold.
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
          I vote leave it
          good advice
          Hail yesterday

Comment

you should obviously try to play at your best, but don't try to come across as a killer guitar player - even if you are, it's not a good idea to act like a showoff.

on a personal level, be 100% like you always are, do not under any circumstances play a role, it will only bite you in the ass sooner or later. if you're a dick, act like your usual dickish self, on the long run it will pay off.

just my .02$

Comment

the first time I aditioned for a real band (pro players). I acted like a cocky rockstar. I met the guys, I talked how much I like to bang chicks, how I would love to tour on the big stages, then I mentioned how much the other musicians suck and how I love to play guitar solos. They were like oh cool. Then we jammed a little bit, it was kinda mess because of the bad equipment. But I was pretty much instantly in the band. After the band practice we talked about chicks, rockstar lifestyle, how much the others suck and then got drunk.

So you gotta know what kind of folks they are and what kind of image the band has. I would never have made it into a indie-pop band with that attitude, but hey that's me, I'm a cocky mofo.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I was the exact oppsite when I got into a band with Gilby Clarke's lil' bro..

I walked in like I was the shit...

I plug in my bass and went right into Shy Boy..

I got the gig in 30 seconds..

This is true!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill, you are hired

I act the same

I would welcome anyone in the band with the same attitude
                  Last edited by Endrik; 09-26-2006, 07:39 AM. Reason: because Bill rules
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                    Bill, you are hired

I act the same

I would welcome anyone in the band with same attitude

Yeah E, I just went in there and went ..Fuggit..I'm throwing down my best shit..my girl Val was with me before we were married, this was '85..and Eat 'em smile just came out..So I had to "represent"!!

needless to say that was the first song we learned..

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post

Wrong kind of band!! haha.

Thanks for the advice everyone.....good stuff. I agree about knowing the songs. I can hopefully just learn them on my own and then play them with the band a week or so later. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Thrust View Post
                        Wrong kind of band!! haha.

Thanks for the advice everyone.....good stuff. I agree about knowing the songs. I can hopefully just learn them on my own and then play them with the band a week or so later. . .

Well, Good luck bro, finding a great band members is few and far between without all the egotistical drama..

I hope you do well and is worth your while..knock
                        'em dead man!

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post

:ROTF: :ROTF:
                          Thanks Bill, not only did I laugh out loud when I read it, but, I'm still laughing.

On to the matter at hand, still trying not to snicker...thanks again Bill.

Ask or request to do a jam in E or A the two easiest keys to jam in.
                          Good ice breaker to get the ball a rollin.
                          Or ask, if theres anything they have been working on and jam to that.

Don't think so much, just let it happen.
                          Relax, you'll be fine, have FUN.
                          I like the fact you care enough to wanna do the right thing and make a good impression. Let your playing and creativity do the talking.
                          Last edited by Soap; 09-26-2006, 11:10 PM.
                          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Show up late and a little drunk. Then put a compact mirror on the table and start choppin' rails for you and the potential band mates. Tell them about the wicked B.J. you got from your mom last night. Make sure your shoes are from different pairs. If they ask what key? Ask if your car key is ok. Tell them tuning up isn't 'true rock'n' roll'.

* Avoiding all of these steps, may help you get in.

Comment

Once I tell people I own a PA company and have a warehouse brimming with real pro-audio goodies, they always want me to join their band. Strange that isn't it?

"B-b-but, you haven't heard me play yet....!"
                              So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Working...
                              X