Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about getting a dog... questions inside

Hey all,

My wife and I are thinking about getting a puppy around christmas time. I have some questions for those of you who know anything about dogs.

We need two very important characteristics.

First off, my wife is allergic to every living thing in the state of Minnesota. We need a dog that does not shed hair or dander.

Second, we need something that will be pretty tiny. We are going to get one when it is a puppy and we need something that wont grow too big. We'll probably be living in this house for at least 5-6 years and we have a very small lawn. I can walk a small puppy around the block and back pretty easily but something like a lab will have to wait until we get into a bigger house.. Otherwise I'd get one of those.

We'd like something that is well tempered/likeable. I was thinking either a pug, which I have wanted since the dawn of time. I do not think they shed and from what I can tell they are pretty well behaved. She was thinking something like a Cockapoo.

Either way, we know we need to get a small punter dog.

Any ideas?
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

A dog that doesn't shed or dander? Hmm... Perhaps a shar pei? I doubt even those are free from that.

Tiny would be a Chihuahua.. But well tempered? Those little fuckers can be mean! LOL

Best thing to do is take your time and look around. Many different breeds out there and since you don't know what you want it's best to search for one that meets your needs and personality. That is the most important thing with buying a dog. You have to get a long with it and vice versa.
    Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

If your wife has allergies that bad,I would suggest you visit local shelters or breeders and see what options you are left with.Only expose her to one breed and see how she reacts to it.

I have a chihuahua and she sheds so much you can vacuum up another dog every two days.They are also fiercely territorial,I have seen mine bark at leaves blowing past the windows.

On the other hand,I have a Pomeranian,and he barely sheds at all.

Put some effort into your search,you don't want to wind up having to take it to a shelter if things do not go as anticipated.
      Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

I've been allergic to dogs as long as I care to remember. We have a Boston terrier and she has never bothered my allergies at all. Also, they have a great temperement and are wonderful with kids (most of them anyway). Just food for thought.

Comment

stevie- I totally agree with you. We want to do as much research as we can. I don't think I'd be able to take it to a shelter or something like that.

I know we both work around 7am-3am everyday. She can always bring it with her if we really need to.

Her sister has a Maltese and she does very well around it. We'd get one of those, but I would never hear the end of it from her sister and everyone..
          Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
          The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Get a shitzu. No shedding or dander . We have 1 and hes a good dog. We got him from an animal hospital ( he was abandoned) and the dog is so greatful that we saved him he's always trying to please. Good with kids and small.

Comment

Originally posted by stevieb91 View Post
              They are also fiercely territorial,I have seen mine bark at leaves blowing past the windows.
              are you sure that's being territorial?

Comment

Steve,

Get a Poo-Bee. Its a breed of Poodle and Beagle. They are bred specifically for those people that are allergic to dogs.

They are hypo-allergenic and have little to no shedding.-Lou
                " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Pugs are funny-looking but cute
                  http://www.ownedbypugs.com/index.php...=lastcom&cat=0
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

:ROTF:
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Well, I think you're gonna be stuck with dander or shedding either way, depending on what kind of dog you get. I hear that dogs with hair, as opposed to fur, are better for people with allergies; i.e. a cockapoo vs a shelty. Boston terriers are very loving dogs, almost annoyingly so, but they're good with kids, and also very very energetic.

Good luck with your search.
                      Guitars:
                      '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                      '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                      '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                      Amp:
                      VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by LouSiffer View Post
                        Steve,

Get a Poo-Bee. Its a breed of Poodle and Beagle. They are bred specifically for those people that are allergic to dogs.

They are hypo-allergenic and have little to no shedding.-Lou
                        Come to think of it,a friend of my daughter has one and my daughter is allergic to everything but hairspray.She mentioned not having any reaction to the dog even though it was practically in her face the entire time she was there.
                        Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

There is one dog that fits your bill, but the wife won't like it. It is Chinese and tiny. But, it only has a little tuft of hair on its head. Otherwise, it is completely bald and is one ugly bit of soup pot bait.

Comment

Get a Chihuahua or a little pug.

Comment

Chihuahuas are Satan's spawn.

Comment

Working...
                              X