No announcement yet.

Finally bought a new bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has it always got to be about which bike or car is fastest? Last I checked, the speed limit is still 65. (at least here in NJ) Sure we like to bust that on occasion, but really, does any sane person ride over 90mph on a bike for any length of time on a freeway?

What I am getting at is, not everyone has to have THE car or THE bike that is known as the fastest. There are other things one considers when buying a car or bike too.

There is one young douche at work who is so hung up on his Vette. It is better than anyone elses car just because he dumped shitloads of money into it to make it even more fast than it is in stock form.

To me, it is just a Vette. Who friggin' cares?

Live and let live, boys.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

That bike is sweet!

Is it your first? If so, not a good choice at all. That bike is too heavy and quick for a first bike. You can get into trouble VERY fast on a machine like that.

Anyway wear your gear, be cautious, and stay safe.

Comment

About that 90mph comment, yeah it is silly to ride that fast, but even on my YZF600R (which is considered a "slow" sportbike), 90mph comes very fast. I've hit over 100mph and not even realized it on deserted stretches of freeway a few times... And I consider myself cautious.

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell
          Is it your first? If so, not a good choice at all.
          It would indeed be a disaster as a starter bike. Luckily I've ridden a few hundred thousand miles on all sorts of bikes over the last 25 years. I'd always stuck with sport bikes and sport tourers until now.

Good point on the weight, that's the one thing I keep reminding myself to pay attention to though as it sits it weighs only a little more than the fully-loaded Tiger I rode to Alaska a few years ago. Now *that* was an unweildy pig with my fat ass attached to it.

As far as riding fast, when I lived out west there were a lot of places where it was relatively safe to ride far above the speed limit for extended periods of time. I've run through entire tanks of gas where I rarely dropped below 3 digits on the speedo. Back east, or even here in the midwest that's not possible but out in the deserts of the west or up in parts of the Great White North it's fairly standard fare.
          Last edited by YetAnotherOne; 09-21-2006, 04:23 PM.
          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Originally posted by YetAnotherOne
            It would indeed be a disaster as a starter bike. Luckily I've ridden a few hundred thousand miles on all sorts of bikes over the last 25 years. I'd always stuck with sport bikes and sport tourers until now.
            Okay cool. I frequent alot of sportbike forums and alot of newbies get the latest and greatest track weapon or large displacement machine for a first bike, usually with tragic results... I hate hearing that stuff. One of your posts gave me the impression that it was your first bike.

Anyway, enjoy the bike. I'll bet that thing is a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell
              About that 90mph comment, yeah it is silly to ride that fast, but even on my YZF600R (which is considered a "slow" sportbike), 90mph comes very fast. I've hit over 100mph and not even realized it on deserted stretches of freeway a few times... And I consider myself cautious.
              Agreed. my gsxr1100 isnt even breathing hard at 100.
              Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by clifffclaven
                Agreed. my gsxr1100 isnt even breathing hard at 100.
                We all know this, and as usual, the point was totally missed.

It just seems that everytime someone posts about a car or bike they have bought or would like to buy, it turns into "mine is faster than that......blah, blah, blah"

I am just happy YAO got something new and cool.
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

100+ for a whole tank of gas? Now that's what I call fun!!
                  Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Originally posted by YetAnotherOne

As far as riding fast, when I lived out west there were a lot of places where it was relatively safe to ride far above the speed limit for extended periods of time.
                    Yup, I'd make it a point to hit 110 on the way to work every day. In trips through central CA (that's California, I refuse to say the first 4 letters) I'd open her up and do 165 on certain highways...and that was me running out of guts, not power!

Hang around Busa guys (or any large sportbike) and there'll be lots of GPS-equipped bikes that'll get over 190 & 200 no problem. Local guys take trips to Vegas with side trips to desolate areas to open 'em up and compare GPS readings!
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yep, and out in central and northern Nevada, and parts of AZ, NM, OR, WA, and MT (at least) there are lots of wide open desolate roads. I've also been across BC N/S and E/W a couple of times and have never seen the police outside the city limits when I was more than 100 miles north of the border.
                      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87
                        I would just ride with caution, just as I do on my Vmax. I had come off 2 H-D's when I bought the Vmax. I went into it knowing that I had to start out with mucho respect for the big power I was not used to. My advice is to do the same. The power and torque on the Rocket can really "come on" and surprise the shit outta you.
                        PMSL, the Vmax was the prime example I was thinking of, a bike that has brought soooo many people to grief when they think to themselves "Right, let's see what this thing can do........", ten minutes after buying it.
                        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87
                          Has it always got to be about which bike or car is fastest? Last I checked, the speed limit is still 65. (at least here in NJ) Sure we like to bust that on occasion, but really, does any sane person ride over 90mph on a bike for any length of time on a freeway?

What I am getting at is, not everyone has to have THE car or THE bike that is known as the fastest. There are other things one considers when buying a car or bike too.

There is one young douche at work who is so hung up on his Vette. It is better than anyone elses car just because he dumped shitloads of money into it to make it even more fast than it is in stock form.

To me, it is just a Vette. Who friggin' cares?

Live and let live, boys.
                          ...that coming from a guy who rides a v-max!
                          Seriously Scott, you're absolutely right, and that's some points right there. Also, people don't seem to understand the difference between "quick", and "fast"....(especially the "vette" guys). My Dad (67 year old wannabe kid with a toupe) has had nothing but Corvettes for the last 30 years , and he's definitely of that "mentality".

He keeps trying to get me to "race" him in my Rambler. I tell him to bring that vette to the dragstrip and I'll race him title for title, but he won't do it. He laughs, and says, "we need to get them out on the open road to judge which one is "faster". My logic is, his car will probably top out at 145 to 150mph so it's DEFINITELY faster, and my car.........geez....at 150mph pieces may start flying off there!

I guess my point is, I like "quick" compared to "fast", and everybody has their preferences. May Dad loves his vette, which has a decent top speed, but get's there like a fucking slug to me. My car tops out around 128, but get's there in a little over 10 seconds!

To each their own.
                          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                            We all know this, and as usual, the point was totally missed.

It just seems that everytime someone posts about a car or bike they have bought or would like to buy, it turns into "mine is faster than that......blah, blah, blah"

I am just happy YAO got something new and cool.
                            I think the only one who missed any points (?) was you. I was merely responding about driving 100+mph. YAOs new bike totally kicks ass.
                            Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

I don't know anything about bikes, but I do know badass when I see it.

And THAT bitch is badaaaaassssss.

Wish I had to the balls to ride a bike.

Ride safe, bro. You need to be on both legs to rock the shite outta your GMPs.

Comment

Working...
                              X