Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2001 Halford Rock In Rio to be released on 2007 DVD! Holy crap!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Halford Rock In Rio to be released on 2007 DVD! Holy crap!!

The Halford 2001 tour show in Brazil is going to be released on DVD in 2007. About damn time.

Holy crap, I think it's blasphemy that I have to admit the Halford band absolutely rips up on classic Priest tunes. If you listen to "Live Insurrection", Mike and Pat outperform Glenn and K.K. on pretty much every song with polished technical perfection and all the emotion. And they make it sound modern and punishing.

Here's an example to compare. Disregard the fact that Halford plays in standard tuning while Priest now plays in E-flat.

Video of Halford playing "Electric Eye" from the upcoming 2007 Halford DVD

Video of Judas Priest playing "Electric Eye" from the 2005 DVD "Rising In The East"

Is it just me, or does the Priest version above sound slow, lazy, and somewhat sloppy? They don't even do the syncopated intro riff to "Electric Eye" the way they did it on "Screaming For Vengeance" or the way the Halford band played it.

Don't get me wrong, I loved seeing Priest live in October 2005 and they kicked ass... but I start getting analytical when I see videos and hear audio.

That guy in Halford nailed that solo pretty good, but Tipton wrote it.

Comment

Glenn also wrote and performed the middle "Beyond The Realms Of Death" solo, but sloppier than whoever in Halford does the equivalent... it's REALLY odd to hear. Normally I hate hearing covers or impersonations of classic songs because of the obvious butchering.

It's almost as if the Halford band takes the classic Priest songs and turns up the magic on them. They sound like how the original recorded Priest songs and live Priest songs should have sounded to begin with. This is where I think my thoughts are getting blasphemous.

Comment

Rob doesnt move, all that leather weighs him down?!?!

Terrible stage presence, but the voice makes up for it!

Comment

I liked the Priest version better. The Halford version just sounded odd for some reason.
          Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

I prefer the Halford version. It's faster, sounds more modern and somehow tighter than the Priest version, plus Metal Mike and Pat Lachman play Jacksons I was dissapointed with the Rising in the East DVD. I love Priest and somehow I expected more. Sure, they're nearly 60 now but the Halford version just sounds more intense to me.
            I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by levantin
              I prefer the Halford version. It's faster, sounds more modern and somehow tighter than the Priest version, plus Metal Mike and Pat Lachman play Jacksons I was dissapointed with the Rising in the East DVD. I love Priest and somehow I expected more. Sure, they're nearly 60 now but the Halford version just sounds more intense to me.
              + a billion!!
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

that live halford album KILLS!!!! saw priest on that last tour, it was cool, but nothing that special. i saw them with tim owens and liked that better....maybe because the stage was smaller it seemed "cooler" or something.....
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

The first track from that Resurrection album is probably one of the best openers I've heard on a record since the 80's albums. Really simplistic and straight forward, but the execution is great... Kick ass solo too.

Comment

Watching those 2 vids, I have to agree that the Halford version is much tighter, and has much more balls.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Live Insurrection is insanely good. One of my favorite live albums of all time. I love Sad Wings on that. Can't wait for the DVD.

Comment

Both very good..the Halford Version was heavier and tighter.

Mike
                        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

We also need to consider that Mr. H is no spring chicken,and playing Rock in Rio isn't generally in the midst of a world tour.If anything,tuning to Eb benefits Rob the most...But..If Scott were in Halford,that would have KILLED..
                          Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

Working...
                          X