Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice schedule

Whats your practice schedule look like?

A lot of times I come home from work and pick up a guitar, a bass or sit at the keyboards and play anything without any set schedule. It's fun like that, but for advancement in technique and playing ability. I'd imagine a set schedule would be more productive.

I have read where keeping a log, having an agenda, starting out slow (BPM) are all beneficial. Do you do it like that?
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Here's what I do (in that order):

- right hand warmup: play 16ths, low strings, easy stuff for the left hand (think Deicide's Scars Of The Crucifix, or CC - I Cum Blood), I start at 130 bpm and then end at 190 bpm
    - left hand: play 16ths and triplets, chromatic stuff , 3 notes per string stuff and similar, start at 130 bpm and end on 170 bpm
    - sweeping: 5 & 3 string arpeggio shapes, start at 150 bpm and end on 170bpm
    - left hand & sweeping from 170 bpm to about 214 bpm, exercises same as above, maybe some more (death metal riffs)

that takes me about 4 hours, then I just noodle a bit for about half an hour or more sometimes.

When I don't feel like playing a guitar a lot or don't have time I skip sweeping and some of the chromatic stuff and play for about 2 hours total.

My goal is to get triplets (3 note per string & sweeps) to about 270 bpm speed and 16ths to about 200 or so without getting tired.

Comment

Noodle for five minutes, check eBay, hang out on guitar forums, continue to suck at guitar.

j/k Actually, most of my practice time these days is spent learning songs.
      This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Originally posted by petedz
        Noodle for five minutes, check eBay, hang out on guitar forums, continue to suck at guitar.

j/k Actually, most of my practice time these days is spent learning songs.
        +1... except both are true for me.
        If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

It really depends upon what your goals as a guitar player are.

If you want to shred and be really good at it you have to warm up, learn the fretboard, work on mechanics, etc...

If you want to stress writing songs then maybe work with chords and don't worry about finger strength and dexterity and speed.

Everyone will be different.
          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Hmmm, let's see.

Turn on the amp, pick up the guitar and jam random shit. If I am feeling it, continue. If not, replace guitar, turn off amp and watch TV.

Guitar is my hobby, I am not going to make it into work.

Mike
            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I don't care if I shred. Songwriting is more important to me. I learn a lot of songs by other bands, and in many different genres. I also just make stuff up, and record a lot of it.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul
                Here's what I do (in that order):
                My goal is to get triplets (3 note per string & sweeps) to about 270 bpm speed and 16ths to about 200 or so without getting tired.
                are you planning on playing oh for say 30 more years to get that good

Comment

Well, I usually jam some songs for an hour as a warm up. Just the rythme parts, I dont shred during warmups. Then I will work whatever exercise is kickin my butt in my lesson book for 30-60 mins. Then I will work scales and triplets and such with my metronome for an hour. Then I will jam over some backing tracks for fun for half an hour or so.

chuck
                  "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Originally posted by petedz
                    I need more structure in my practice regimen. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by MattyCakes
                      are you planning on playing oh for say 30 more years to get that good
                      No. Why? I'm slowly improving. That speed is ...for instance the speed of serrana arpeggios or most of children of bodom solos.

Comment

270 BPM triplets

Comment

Originally posted by MattyCakes
                          270 BPM triplets
                          that's same speed as 135 bpm sextuplets and that's the speed of serrana arpeggios, lot's of bodom solos etc. it's not like i'm going to shred at that speed for 10 min straight like francesco fareri or something, but it's cool to be able to play some of your favourite solos .

Comment

Working...
                          X