Creativity.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creativity.

I'll start off by recounting the dream I had last night. I was in a place that vaguely looked like the master control room at the station I run sound at. Our main sports anchor was there (the only guy in the place who gives me a challenge at Jeopardy) and some other anonymous people. We were observing Kip Winger and Reb Beach play some songs. Reb was sitting down with a natural wood guitar and Kip was operating a sequencer that had the bass/drums/keys parts. They ended up playing/singing to three songs (not on any of their albums) before the dream ended.

As for the creativity part, this is how I "write" stuff. I dream it. It's usually a band I observe playing, or I observe myself playing with them (like the time I was "in" Boston). It's always original stuff, it's always finished material, and I'm always satisfied with it. It even extends to non-music stuff. I once dreamed I watched a viewing of Animal House 2 (with John Belushi) and it was HILARIOUS!

Good for me, right? Well, it's not so good. The problem is that I can never remember any concrete part of it. I don't remember any of the licks, chords, structure or arrangement of the stuff I dreamt. On the rare times I've waken up kinda close to the dream, I feel the specific memories fading, until I only have a memory of the general event. I'm always groggy when I wake up, so by the time my mind is clear and my body responds to my brain's commands, it's too late to write down or record anything. It's like trying to hold water in your hands.

I wish there was some way I could get this stuff down on paper or tape. I simply cannot come up with this stuff while I'm concious, other than getting into a zone, which also is impossible for me to do on cue. One example is when I worked at this screen printing place. I had about 500 shirts to print manually, so I got into a rhythym and kinda went on autopilot to keep from thinking about the workload. Some sport trivia mentioned on the radio kicked my mind into writing a script that had some very minor similarities to the movie Brian's Song (which I have never seen and only know the general plot). This went on for about 20 minutes, and then Linda came back to ask me something about an order. Well this broke the "spell" and everything I came up with slipped away.

Anyway, I'm frustrated at this inability to put my creativity to record. I'm wondering if maybe hypnosis could help, since we supposedly don't forget stuff. Any of you guys have thought on this?
    Just a guitar player...

Dreams are an interesting and misunderstood topic. I have done research on lucid dreaming (I can LD myself and it's pretty cool). I encourage you to read up on the subject, as LD is a learnable skill - there are some books that might help you remember more of your dreams. Stephen Laberge has written a few good ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream

LD FAQ: http://www.psychwww.com/asc/ld/faq.html
    Last edited by RacerX; 07-31-2006, 01:55 AM.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I had the best dream last night. I had this 4 level wicked condo, and I could jump from each ledge into a bigger pool as it started with a jacuzzi on the top, then a pool below, then farther below a bigger pool, and below that the whopper of all pools with the beach righyt next to my fortress. I flew with grace while shooting rockets at the sun on the way down, and when I got out of the bottom pool there was my wife. It was a girl I had never seen before in my life, she was a vision if ever there was a woman, and she walked towards me and told me I was the stuff as she planted the best kiss I'd ever received in my life. I felt love, I felt godlike. Wasn't a bad way to spend the evening. And then some nights I'm fighting for my life, and it gets bloody .It's so weird where I go, but I look forward to every slumber cuz they are extremely vivid and lots of color invade my dreams.
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Working...
      X