Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does this car auction seem too suspicious?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does this car auction seem too suspicious?

Cars seem like the one thing I'd never buy off eBay, but I've been looking through El Caminos and came across this one. Seemed like a really good price and they're located in MA. I also doubt I'll find a 3rd Gen. anywhere around here. The auction looks legit, but the guys a n00b and his about me page was rather weird and somewhat creepy, plus the whole contact me before bidding thing. The only other thing he's sold was another car, except the auction layout was a lot different and he sold it to another guy with zero feedback. Any suggestions/advice?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...09788625QQrdZ1
    If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Buy a real car from a real person

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-...QQcmdZViewItem

This is my first time selling a car. My neighbor knows his stuff better than I, and from what you said (Buyer must be pre-approved before bidding; deal too good to be true; first time seller) it sounds like a scam.

Comment

Yeah, it seems like an overly sweet deal, so you think it would make any difference if I would be going up to pay for it/pick it up if I bought it?
      If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

71 454 El Camino was one of the last true musclecars. There is no way that is a honest auction. I would shell out a hell of a lot more for that thing on the spot.

-Nate
        Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

$3000??? For a 71 El Camino SS 454??? NO WAY that's legit!

Comment

Am I missing something? I have no idea if that´s a scam but the auction is running for a couple more days so there´s room for the price to climb up.

Comment

The dude says he'll sell it for $3000 BIN.

Comment

Yeah, and if you bid on it without being "pre-approved" he'll leave you neg feedback.
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Eh, This is one to leave to a local to buy, It could be real and probally is, BUT i'm gessing there's lot's of Chevy Rust in it hidden by that $499 Paint
                  I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

That is about 20 minutes from me....lemme know if you want me to go check it out for you

Comment

I dont think its a scam, exactly. Its probably a down payment. Thats probably why you have to contact him first before bidding and why he wont use the ebay ask seller a question link. He's just trying to avoid ebay fees.

Comment

gone!

Comment

Guys run this type of scam all the time. I came across one a while back for a beautiful white 1970 Challenger 426. It said $9000 to BIN but to contact the seller first, which I did. The auction stated Nutley, NJ (20 mins from me)as the location. I lined up my 9g's and emailed the dude. I got an email back that the car was actually his brothers and located in Chile or some shit and that it was mine if I wanted it. All I had to do was send a 3 thousand dollar deposit and they would get it ready to ship to me. Uh.....yeah, right.

A little digging turned up that the car was listed with the same pics on a classic car dealer's site in Arizona..... for 85 thousand.

Too good to be true? It ain't! End of story.
                          Scott
                          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87
                            Guys run this type of scam all the time. I came across one a while back for a beautiful white 1970 Challenger 426. It said $9000 to BIN but to contact the seller first, which I did. The auction stated Nutley, NJ (20 mins from me)as the location. I lined up my 9g's and emailed the dude. I got an email back that the car was actually his brothers and located in Chile or some shit and that it was mine if I wanted it. All I had to do was send a 3 thousand dollar deposit and they would get it ready to ship to me. Uh.....yeah, right.

A little digging turned up that the car was listed with the same pics on a classic car dealer's site in Arizona..... for 85 thousand.

Too good to be true? It ain't! End of story.
                            I just got a response from the guy. It sounds sort of similar in that the cars located somewhere different than the guy, though he said he's in AZ and the car is in MA. Hasn't mentioned any deposits or anything, but the pre-paid shipping both ways sounds fishy. He also made a couple of spelling mistakes which is weird, and I've never heard of eBay working like that.

Hello,

I'm really sorry for this late reply but I've been very busy lately and away from a computer. The price that I want to obtain is $3,000 (including shipping and insurance charges).The price is considerably lower then others on the market because I need to sell it really fast.
                            The car has all the services done at the dealership. The vehicle was never crashed, abused or raced. I always garaged it and serviced it, kept very good care of it!. The vehicle is currently located in Raynham, Massachusetts but unfortunately I am in Tucson, Arizona, planning to open a business here and I don't think I can come sooner then next month. However I can arrange for the paperworks from here and I can talk to a shipping company to deliver the vehicle to your address.
                            I think it's impossible to buy a vehicle for such a big amount without having an inspection first. So I had a look on eBay and I saw they could help us with this. Since the transaction worths a lot of money they've suggested to make the deal only through eBay so that we won't have any problems.
                            If you decide to buy all the papers are ready,just needed to be signed by you.
                            If you decide not to buy for a serious reason(of course after the inspection) then you can just ask the shipping company to send it back to my address with no extra cost(shipping is payed in advance by me).I think this is the fastest,safest and most fair solution we can have.
                            If you are interested to purchase the vehicle please provide me the following information's:
                            -your full name and address for shipping
                            -your phone #
                            If I receive the requested information you will be informed by eBay during the next hours with details about your purchase.

Thank you,
                            George J Badavas

Comment

Either the Guy is a real Dumbass. Which trust me Selling as many high profile cars as We have, There's TONS of them out there. Or it's a Scam. My guess Dumbass
                              I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Working...
                              X