Avenged Sevenfold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeegler
    I totally disagree with your assesment of rhythm players John. I play close to half the leads in my band, but always have considered myself a rhythm player, because I just prefer the heaviness of it to the meedly meedly stuff. You can have a band without leads, but not without rhythm. Plus, I've known a lot of awesome soloists, who couldn't play rhythm to save their life. If all you can play is leads, you're pretty close to useless IMO.
    Most lead guitar players can play rhythm.
    I think its pretty rare to find a good soloist who can't play rhythm guitar.
    Zeeg... read your post back. If you play close to half the solo's in your band then you are a soloist. Kind of like Tipton and Downing. They split it up.
    I also agree that you can't have a band without rhythm but you can without solo's. As a guitar player.... which most of us are..... that is precisely what is wrong with the majority of todays music. Luckily, bands like Avenged is mainstream... they are attracting a ton of new listening guitar players AND they have 2 excellent ripping guitar players who aren't afraid to shred.
    Dude... be real... ALL guitar players want to shred or play solo's. 100% of them. The ones that say they don't.... can't.
    You may prefer to play rhythm and thats cool... but you are already a lead player so you paid your dues and now you have the option. I like to play rhythm only sometimes too... well.. not really.
    My biggest most successful band was a power trio so I played rhythm and lead. It was fun but we did it only because it was easier traveling and we made more money each. I would have preferred a solid rhythm or lead guitarist to join but we were already established as a trio.
    And another thing.... not all guitarists are destined to become soloist's.
    I would say that only 10% of rock guitarists can solo and less than 2% of them can shred. That leaves us with a heck of alot of rhythm guitarists.
    Your points are well taken though.

Comment

Working...
    X