X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice research Endbat. Score!!!!
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Sabbath METAL, Zeppelin hard rock, both GREAT. Iommi's Riffs started Metal........

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
        I believe the first "shred" was performed by Danny Cedrone who was the guitarist for Bill Haley and the Comets. The song was Rock Around the Clock. It was around 1955.
        I always thought that!!
        ----------------------------------------------------------

Yes Tony Iommi invented Heavy Metal..by a mishap to his fingers..he tuned down low to loosen the tension of the strings...BOOM..Metal was born!

Sabbath was perfect, the sound , the imagery..everything..it's timeless...I can still put those albums on today (and I do) and rock the fuck out!!
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

actually the first guitar shredding was done centuries ago by classical or flamenco guitarists and belive me, the stuff they played was pretty insane.
          We can speak about certain names from the late 19th and early 20th centuries when flamenco was pretty popular.
          The first big name in shredding was Django Reinhardt, you know the gypsy jazz player who had 2 working fingers in the left hand.
          He played some of the most insane guitar lines and patterns EVER durning the 1920's and 1930's.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

That makes sense..I would assume yes...classical/flamenco would be the first "shred"

It was fast, with tremendous skill and virtuocity..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

yeah, my gf told me about some VH1 show about metal that I might be interested.

I was watching seinfeld at the time, and I replied "Vh1 doesn't know metal, seinfeld is more metal than than VH1"

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik
                actually the first guitar shredding was done centuries ago by classical or flamenco guitarists and belive me, the stuff they played was pretty insane.
                We can speak about certain names from the late 19th and early 20th centuries when flamenco was pretty popular.
                The first big name in shredding was Django Reinhardt, you know the gypsy jazz player who had 2 working fingers in the left hand.
                He played some of the most insane guitar lines and patterns EVER durning the 1920's and 1930's.
                I understand but I am talking about a guitar solo in the context of a rock song. If Django Reinhardt was playing rock music I would agree with you.
                I am talking about electric guitar.

Comment

Yes, I don't care what the media dictates what is metal and what is not..

If you poll most kids today..they would still say Lincoln Park, or Korn or some shit...when you ask them to name a metal band..

Comment

I am not sure how this list worked but the top 100 metal artist show they did and most of the lists VH1

Comment

But popularity doesn't determinate metal nor does technicality. Most of the Black Sabbath songs were very easy, a lot of 90's Nu metal songs were more complex. Metal is all about agressive and dark sounds. Many don't concider 90's heavy music metal but 99% of Nu Metal bands are 1000 times heavier and darker than let's say Iron Maiden wich is one of the most legendary metal bands ever.
                      It's funny that metal-fans like classic metal and hate all the new stuff. But players love all the new stuff.
                      Reb Beach is a huge Lincoln Park fan as is Don Dokken, Steve Vai loves Korn, Satriani is a SOAD fan, George Lynch likes tons of Nu bands. And the funny thing is, none of those "stars" don't care about new shredders or technical metal bands at all, they think it's boring.
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Blue Cheer's version of " Summertime Blues" (1968) was just too much. I was a senior in highschool and it just blew our socks off. Heavy Metal at its best and earliest.
                        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

ewww. I hate that Nu Crap..

Hey where's my "Metal" list..it's in my thread somewhere..Now that's a list!!

I never did finish that list..VH-1 wouldn't have a clue of 99.9% on that list..

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fettster
                            Blue Cheer's version of " Summertime Blues" (1968) was just too much. I was a senior in highschool and it just blew our socks off. Heavy Metal at its best and earliest.
                            Dude, VH1 shows some Blue Cheer's video sometime, that drummer was fuckin' insane

Comment

Romanus II was renowned throughout the Roman Empire in the 1st century for his godlike skills on the lute.
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X