Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parker Fly is where it's at. A Fly Deluxe is like 3.25 lbs

Comment

My maple Jackson super strat is 10.2 pounds.Killer in the tone dept.I've had several ESP lynchs that were maple but they never sounded as raw as the Jackson.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

"There are some great lightweight axes out there with killer tone & all the sustain anyone will ever need"

Name one.
        Just a guitar player...

Comment

Originally posted by texasfury
          "There are some great lightweight axes out there with killer tone & all the sustain anyone will ever need"

Name one.
          Well My 1966 strat for starters.I think it really does matter on the sound of a strat or tele.Every vintage Fender I own is lightweight except a 72 tele that I bought a long time ago.It seems like the lightest ones have alot more ring to them.I've built alot of guitars over the years and pay ALOT more for the light bodies because over time I've noticed the ones that were the hardest for Me to sell(because I didnt want to sell them) sounded and played the best and also were for the most part the lightest. When it came down to ordering the sub camos I specified premium lightweight alder for that same reason. On Les Pauls most pauls over 9.5 lbs become REALLY hard to sell.If You dont mind the weight that You should be able to get a much better deal on one.But keep in mind if You go to sell it You will experience the same reluctance with a potential buyer.
          Custom Shop-There is no substitute!

Comment

more wood=better/fatter tone, more sustain
            more wood=bigger weight
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Oh yea thats why the Pros pay big bucks for the boat anchors...

Comment

I have been eyeing a vintage strat body made from solid Walnut that weighs 8 pounds empty. I figure that should make a nice 10+ pound strat and be fat as a mother.

I like weight. Why do you think tunes like Running with the Devil and You Really Got Me sound so massive? Ibanez Destroyer. Solid Ash Explorer body, maple neck with rosewood board. Easy 10+ pounders.

My Agile Les Paul weighs at least 10 pounds, and it is a pretty fat mother as well. I had a Silverburst custom back in the '90s that must have weighed 15 pounds...it was the best sounding Paul I have ever played.

Now, my Basswood Predator does have tone to the bone and mojo, and it is a lightweight. However, it is not as fat as the Agile.

Mike
                Last edited by MBreinin; 05-02-2006, 09:35 AM.
                Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Well My post stated vintage strat. Not Eddies guitar.
                  Solid ash bodies that heavy are northern ash which sounds alot like solid maple,again not vintage strat. Shrill sounding bodies sound good with Hums to alot of people but fill it with vintage single coils and its way to shrill and sounds like ass.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMac
                    Well My post stated vintage strat. Not Eddies guitar.
                    Solid ash bodies that heavy are northern ash which sounds alot like solid maple,again not vintage strat. Shrill sounding bodies sound good with Hums to alot of people but fill it with vintage single coils and its way to shrill and sounds like ass.
                    I actually wasn't responding to your post specifically, just making a general statement.

Lightweight guitars can sound great. I had a swamp ash '63 Strat that weighed about 6 pounds and sounded unreal. It was simply a magical instrument.

Mike
                    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Generalizations can try to be made, but it really depends from guitar to guitar. I'm sure many boat anchors sound great....and some sound horrible. I'm sure many light guitars sound great....and some sound horrible. Weight is just one of the MANY factors that go into making a guitar overall bad, okay, or awesome. Personally, I'd rather hunt for guitars first based on weight, then further narrow down to finding one that also sounds and feels great...the best of all worlds. If two guitars both sound great and one is light and the other is heavy, I'm gonna always buy/play the one that is lightweight.

Comment

Working...
                      X