Ethics question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethics question.

A friend asked me (wink-wink-nod-nod), "What would you do?". This person has a situation where he is selling something (not a guitar) at auction. The current bid is $150 with a Reserve of $255. This "person" gets an e-mail saying he'll pay $350 if my friend ends the auction now. My friend told me there is only one other person that is interested in this non-guitar other than the guy that wants to pay $350. My friend told me there are 3 days left in his auction. I am at a loss as to what to tell my friend . What would you guys advise? If this thread gets booted, my friend will understand. And, I will aplogize for him.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Is this auction eBay?
    If the "person" is local and wants to pay cash and pick it up, I'd end it. But I would otherwise never accept someone's offer to circumvent eBay. Chances are, it's a scammer!

-a

Comment

Money talks Brother Fett!

Billy
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by HoWheels
        Is this auction eBay?
        If the "person" is local and wants to pay cash and pick it up, I'd end it. But I would otherwise never accept someone's offer to circumvent eBay. Chances are, it's a scammer!

-a
        My "friend" told me he wants to do a BIN.

Comment

Sold.

Comment

Are there any bids that meet reserve on it yet? If there is I would at least have the person that wishes to purchase it enter a bid that puts them in the winning bid position and then end it.
            We must!
            We must!
            We must increase the bust!
            The bigger the better!
            The tighter the sweater!
            The boys are counting on us!

Comment

The last time my "friend " tried to sell this, the high bid was $163. And the high bidder wanted a "Second Chance". My friend chose to re-list it. It's the same guy that has the only bid in at $150 on the current auction.

Comment

SOLD!!!
                But get the money first of course.
                -Rick

Comment

I don't think ending ebay auctions early is unethical at all

Comment

Should he e-mail the first guy and tell him what's going on? I knew a gay Navy guy the was on the USS Ethics. I think he meant to say "Essex"

Comment

If the first guy/current high bidder tried to lowball you - I mean your friend last time, he's not going to go up to $350. He's a bargain humter. Nothing wrong with that, but nothing wrong with ending the listing to do a BIN with the other guy either.

Just make sure the funds clear before you ship the item. I have a bank account just for Paypal deals that I keep at a minimum balance so scammers can't do a chargeback on me. I also have the Paypal ATM card so I don't have to wait 2-3 business days if I'm willing to pay
                      $3 to get the money right away. Sometimes that's really handy.
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Will you Admins bust my balls if I showed my "friend's " auction? The item is an object-duh-art.

Comment

As soon as the money arrived in my paypal account, I'd end the auction and ship it. No money, no ending auction.
                          The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fettster
                            I knew a gay Navy guy the was on the USS Ethics. I think he meant to say "Essex"
                            Did you miss the quotation-marks on that one?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fettster
                              Will you Admins bust my balls if I showed my "friend's " auction? The item is an object-duh-art.
                              If it's really yours, don't show it, that's a big no-no. Or since it's not a guitar, I'd email or PM them, not just ask on the thread. But my guess would be no...
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X